Saturday Bantering: Floyd signed, Jenkins DFA, Wedge hired

New, 61 comments
Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports

Little bits of Blue Jays news:

  • They have officially announced the Gavin Floyd signing, he is getting a major league deal, worth $1 million for the year. And the press release tells us that the Jays have DFAed Chad Jenkins. Jenkins was out of options, so it is likely he'd get the DFA treatment at some point. In 46 games, 6 starts, for the Jays, Jenkins has a 3.31 ERA in 100.2 innings with 26 walks and 51 strikeouts. I hope something works out for him.
  • In the second Jays press release of the morning, they tell us that they have hired Eric Wedge as a Player Development Advisor. It says he will work 'closely' with Mark Shapiro, Ross Atkins and Player Development Director Gil Kim on "strategies to enhance the Player Development system". The release goes on to tell us Wedge was a manager for the Indians and Mariners, that he was AL Manager of the Year in 2007. And, in what looks like a passive aggressive move (to me) lists his career record as a manager (774-846). He also managed the Buffalo Bisons for two seasons, 2001 and 2002, helping the Bisons 178-108 record over the two years. Wedge is a member of the Buffalo Baseball Hall of Fame.
  • I agree with Jon Heyman:

  • And, not really Jays news, but I love this Chris Ripley art: