Spring Game One Recap: Jays beat Phillies

New, 44 comments
Pompey sliding into second. If he slid with straight legs, at the base, I think he would have been safe.
Pompey sliding into second. If he slid with straight legs, at the base, I think he would have been safe.
Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 5 Phillies 3

That was the Darwin Barney show. He 3 for 3 with 2 doubles, 5 RBI (he would have had 6, but Richard Urena got thrown out at the plate).

Beyond that, Marcus Stroman looked good, even if he gave up 2 earned. He had a quick first inning. In the second he gave up a 2-out single. Then a soft roller down the third base line that he tried to make a play on (I'd like him to take it easy in spring), that he threw wide of first for a single plus error. 2 more fairly soft singles and the Phillies had 2 runs in.

On the Phillies side, our old friend J.P. Arencibia singled and hit a solo homers.

Some other Jays lines:

  • Dalton Pompey: 0 for 2, with a nice 9-pitch walk to start the game.
  • Anthony Alford: 0 for 2, with a strikeout.
  • Darrell Ceciliani: 0 for 3.
  • Roemon Fields: 1 for 2, double. Slashed a ball down the left field line that rolled under the padding of the fence. I think he should have been awarded a triple.
  • Chris Colabello: 1 for 2, a single that he barely touched, but it rolled into just the right spot on the infield that no one could get him BABIP King.
  • Justin Smoak: 1 for 2, hard hit double and a walk.
  • Matt Dominguez: 1 for 2, strikeout.
  • Ezequiel Carrera 0 for 2, strikeout.
  • Jon Berti: 0 for 2, strikeout and a bad error in the outfield. In his defense, he's really an infielder.
  • Josh Thole: 0 for 2. Soft pop outs.
  • A.J. Jimenez: 0 for 2.
  • Maicer Izturis: 0 for 2.
  • Drew Hutchison: 2 innings, 1 hit (the Arencibia homer) 1 k. Other than the home run, he looked pretty good.
  • Steve Delabar: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 k.
  • Ryan Tepera: 1 inning, 1 walk.
  • Chad Jenkins: 1 inning, 1 walk, 2 k. I thought he looked pretty good.
  • Jay Copeland: 1 quick inning.
  • Wade LeBlanc: 1 inning, 1 walk, 1 k. And he got the save.

One game, one win. nice way to start, even if it was the Jays B team.