Friday Bantering: Penny retires, Pompey sent to minors

New, 29 comments
Brad Penny
Brad Penny
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

I am in Hawaii, so this is going to be quick. If you are here, I'm the really really pale guy.

As well as Rafael Soriano announcing the end of his ball career,  Brad Penny has decided to call it a career. Brad played 14 seasons, had a 121-105 recore with a 4.29 ERA in 349 career games. He played for 6 different teams and has a World Series ring, earning it with 2 wins over the Yankees in the 2003 World Series,as a Marlin.

He was having a tough time this spring, with a 5.40 ERA in 5 innings of work, allowing 8 hits, 2 home runs. I thought he'd end up starting in Buffalo but I guess he decided he didn't want to go back to the minors.

The Jays also sent Dalton Pompey to the Triple A camp. We knew it was coming but I still would rather him in the majors. I don't think he has anything left to prove, in the minors, and think he'd be more useful than any of the other 4th outfielder candidates. I hope he is back quick.

I'm glad to see Aaron Sanchez had another good spring appearance today. I'm still hoping he gets the 5th starter job, but I don't think Gibby is leaning his way.

Gotta head down to the beach, life is rough.