Greetings Blue Jays fans, I come in peace

New, 96 comments

The Troy Tulowitzki trade is still creating aftershocks around Bluebird Banter.

Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

Hello there Bluebird Banter community. Some of you may already know me if you frequent the comment section. If not, allow me to introduce myself.

For the last four years, I've been a writer at Purple Row, Bluebird Banter's sister SB Nation Colorado Rockies site, and until last summer, writing exclusively about the Rockies gave me all the fulfillment I needed as a baseball fan. Then the Troy Tulowitzki trade happened, and my soul was ripped out.

Tulo was the first player I ever tracked from draft day to the majors, and once he got there, he instantly became an integral part of Colorado's magical run to the 2007 NL pennant ... as a rookie. From there, he turned himself into the best shortstop in baseball and openly talked about how he wanted to spend his entire career as a Rockie, and for most of his time there, the club seemed to have the same plan, extending him through the 2020 season all the way back in November of 2010.

It was at that moment a little over five years ago I allowed myself to believe that Troy Tulowitzki would be part of my favorite team forever, and when July 2015 rolled around, that belief still burned bright. So when Alex Anthopoulos and Jeff Bridich agreed to swap Tulo and LaTroy Hawkins for Jose Reyes, Jeff Hoffman, Miguel Castro and Jesus Tinoco, I was stunned in sadness.

My status as a fan was a mess. When I first joined the Purple Row staff in 2012, I assumed I would one day get to write about Troy Tulowitzki contributing to a team playing meaningful baseball late in the season. Then last summer when he was traded, it all evaporated in an instant. That dream all but died.

Then, something unexpected happened. Something I couldn't have imagined as recently as eight months ago. I began to fall in love with the Toronto Blue Jays and this Bluebird Banter community. When Tulo broke his scapula colliding with Kevin Pillar in shallow center field at Yankee Stadium in early September, I continued to watch the Blue Jays everyday as they chased down their first playoff berth and division title in 22 years. By the end of that non-Tulo stretch of baseball, I knew the Blue Jays were a team I wanted to pay more attention to going forward.

So over the winter months, I dedicated myself to learning as much Blue Jays history as possible. As an obsessive baseball fan, I have a basic knowledge of all 30 teams, but learning about this game and its individual franchises is like going into outer space. There's no limit to how far you can travel down that road.

So each day I would try to do at least one thing to help broaden my understanding of this club. One evening I might watch a Jays playoff game from 92 or 93 on YouTube. The next I might study all the big trades made over the years and try to pick up patterns. After that, I might spend an hour reading old archived posts here at Bluebird Banter to get a better understanding of the years leading up to the current squad. Anything that could better prepare me for what I'm about to tell you now.

Last week, I talked to Tom, and we agreed that it would be a good idea for me to contribute at Bluebird Banter starting immediately. So one last time I say, "Hello there Bluebird Banter community."

I want to make it very clear that I would not be here unless I felt I could contribute to the high quality of writing already provided by the Bluebird Banter staff. The last thing I want to do is lower the content value on this site. Only after months of familiarizing myself with this team, this franchise history and this wonderful community do I feel I can do that while hitting the ground running. So here we go.

For now, while we get to know each other a little better, you can think of me as the blogger to be named later in the Troy Tulowitzki trade. Hopefully in time, we'll all be celebrating a World Series title together.