Friday Bantering: Maicer Izturis retires, Aaron Loup shut down

New, 27 comments
Maicer
Maicer
Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports

There are a couple of little bits of Blue Jays news this morning.

Maicer Izturis is calling it a career. I'm sure you remember the story, Alex Anthopoulos signed him to a 3-year, plus a team option, back before the 2013 season.

In 2013, he played 107 games, hit a big .236/.288/.310. He played 11 games, the next season, before he tore his lateral collateral ligament, tripping on a dugout stair and was done for the season. 2015 he had a groin pull in spring training, then wrecked his shoulder diving for a ball on his rehab assignment, putting him out for another season.

The Jays bought out his 2015 season, paying him a total of $10 million for 118 games. This winter they signed him to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. He played in one spring game. He says he'd like to keep playing, but his body won't allow it.

With Izturis' career coming to an end, we are down to one former Expo left in the majors. Bartolo Colon turns 43 in May, but he made 31 starts and threw 194 innings for the Mets last season. I hope he pitches into his 50s.

And, Aaron Loup has been shut down for 2 weeks, with a "flexor strain" in his left elbow. He says there is no ligament damage, but he's had tightness for the last few days. The injury makes it doubtful that he'll be ready to go north with the team to start the season.

That opens the door to switch pitching Pat Venditte. Venditte pitched for the A's last season, He had a 4.40 ERA in 26 games, 28.2 innings, with 12 walks and 23 strikeouts. He pitched in the Jays intrasquad  spring game Monday, facing 5 batters, he gave up a single and a walk, and had a strikeout.

Other left-handed pitchers, in camp, who could possibly made the team as the second lefty in the pen are Scott Diamond, Chad Girodo, Wade LeBlanc and Pat McCoy. None of them have more than a very slim chance of making the team.