Better know your Blue Jays 40-man: Gavin Floyd

New, 5 comments
You can see why this would be hard on an elbow.
You can see why this would be hard on an elbow.
Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports

I'll admit, I was surprised when the Blue Jays signed Gavin Floyd. Then more surprised to find out it was a major league contract, not a minor league one.

Floyd had a good 5 year stretch, with the White Sox, making 123 starts, from 2008 to 2012, with ERAs ranging from 3.84 the 4.37. So, while not great, Floyd was consistent. Tommy John surgery came in 2013 and he's been working his way back from that since

In 2014, he made 9 starts for the Braves, putting up a 2.65 ERA. Last year he made 7 relief appearances with the Indians, 2.70 ERA in 13.1 innings. Both seasons were shortened by a reoccurring fracture in his elbow.

I had thought that his best hope, to make the team, would be long relief, but it looks like he is in the battle for the 5th starter spot and I'm not sure that he isn't the front office favorite:

But then, he's 33 and has pitch a grand total of 92 innings over the past 3 season.

Fangraphs says he averaged 92 MPH on his fastball last year, which isn't any slower than it was in his prime (of course in limited relief innings). And he threw a cutter (35.5% of the time), a curve (15.1%) and a change (4.1%).

The questions about Floyd are will he be a starter or a reliever and can he stay healthy? Those are questions we'll get answered over the next several weeks. I'd prefer Aaron Sanchez or Drew Hutchison getting the 5th starter job. They are younger, have more of a future. Floyd might be better this year, but he's 33 now. if things great, he could have a couple of decent seasons. But then, if Floyd has a good season and we make the playoffs, I'll be happy.