We have a couple more off-days before the Blue Jays season gets going again. There are little bits of news out there:
- Michael Saunders, before the realized there was any controversy, was asked about the Tenors experimenting with the national anthem. Not surprisingly, he didn't really know much about what he was being asked. Since he was busy with the game, he didn't know that the Tenors caused Twitter to blow up. I really think it was unfair to ask him about that right after the game.
- My biggest takeaway, Edwin Encarancion sings our national anthem:
"I was singing it in my head," Saunders said. "I was caught up in the moment, just signing the anthem. I was listening to Eddie [Edwin Encarnacion] singing it. He sings the Canadian anthem every time. I must have just been caught up in the moment. I didn't even realize that."
- Chris Colabello starts his 'rehab' assignment with the Dunedin Blue Jays tonight. In ten days his suspension ends and he can rejoin the Jays. When he was suspended, I figured his career was likely over, but we'll see how he does in the minors. He has options, so the team can decide to keep him in the minors if they want.
- David Ortiz spent All-Star time telling people that Edwin Encarnacion should replace him as Red Sox DH. And I can't express how much I hate that idea.
- Blue Jays TV ratings are up 50% over last year. Add in that attendance at the games is up, averaging 39,274 a game (tops in the AL), up from 34,504, Rogers must be pretty happy with the team. After the NHL had the downturn in ratings, it must feel good for Sportnet to have something good to point to.
- The Tigers moved Anthony Gose down to Double A, after ending his suspension for yelling at his Triple A manager.
- I really love Devon Travis.
- The Jays moved Matt Dermody from New Hampshire to Buffalo. He started the year in Dunedin, put up a 1.96 ERA in 16 games there, moved to the Fisher Cats, and had a 0.92 ERA in 16 games. So 16 games from now, he could be a Blue Jay. We aren't exact loaded with great lefty relievers.
- I still keep getting told that Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion are going to be traded. My favorite suggestion was they get traded to the Rockies, because they would like playing in the thin air, not really understanding the idea that non-contenders don't trade for rental players. I'm amazed at so many people are so invested in the idea that they have to be traded that they will come up with all sorts of scenarios, but, I continue to ask the same thing, when was the last time a contender traded someone with 10/5 rights?