September Call-ups: Pompey, Barnes, Tepera, Dermody

New, comments
MLB: Spring Training-Toronto Blue Jays at Tampa Bay Rays
Dalton Pompey
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Shi Davidi has the news on the first Blue Jays September call-ups. The first round of September call-ups has one surprise, I didn’t figure Matt Dermody would be coming up, since he started the year at Dunedin. But he’s left-handed, and we could use a second lefty, and he’s been very good, pitching in 3 different levels of the Jays system, putting up a 1.82 ERA in 54.1 innings. He gave up 55 hits, 8 walks with 47 strikeouts. Might as well give him a look.

The other 3 aren’t surprises. We were pretty sure Dalton Pompey would be up for his third September. He hit .270/.349/.353, in 93 games at Buffalo. He’s had a rough year, fighting through injuries, including an early season concussion. He had a great June and July, hitting .308/.373/.327 and .312/.365/.442 in those two month, respectively. He gives the Jays some speed, and a better defensive replacement than they had.

Also coming up are RHP Ryan Tepera and Danny Barnes. Both have been up with the team this year. Tepera several times. He has a 2.89 ERA in 9.1 innings with the Jays and a 2.58 ERA in 45.1 innings in Buffalo.

Barnes has a 4.50 ERA in 4 innings, with the Jays and a 0.73 ERA in 61.1 innings split between New Hampshire and Buffalo. He only gave up 1 earned run in 25.2 innings with the Bisons.

Aaron Loup and Bo Schultz are likely to be coming up after the Bisons’ season is finished September 5.

I did expect a couple more bats, and I was pretty sure Chad Girodo would be coming back, but maybe they add more when the Bisons are finished for the year.