Who’s up, Who’s down: Jays batters

New, comments
MLB: Boston Red Sox at Toronto Blue Jays John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports

It has been a tough September, so far, and since I’ve been missing in action I figured it was time to take a look at how the batters have been doing since September 1. The Jays are 4-9 in the first 13 games. Our bats have been particularly cold, hitting .224/.311/.336 with 10 home runs. They have averaged 3.8 runs per game.

I’m looking for a new format for this as the old one wasn’t working very well.

Up Arrows:

Devon Travis: .357/.357/.446, with no home runs, 5 doubles, 8 RBI, 0 walks, 11 strikeouts.

Travis played in all 13 games, playing DH once. I would like him to take the odd walk, but if I was hitting .357 I would swing at everything too. He was held hitless in only one of the the 13 games. He had 3 hits twice, 2 hits 4 times. Normally I wouldn’t want someone that doesn’t walk hitting at the top of the order but I don’t know that it is a bad idea. He seemed to be going through a fielding slump, but I’m hoping he’s come out of it.

Troy Tulowitzki: .311/.354/.422, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Troy started 12 of the 13 games, all at short. He and pretty much the whole team is in a bit of a power slump, he only had 3 extra base hits (2 doubles and a home run) but he’s hitting decent. And that’s it for the up arrows.

Down Arrows:

Russell Martin: .147/.268/.412, 3 home runs, 10 RBI, 6 walks and 16 strikeouts.

Russell played in 11 games, starting 10. He was DH once. If you read my Twitter feed, Martin is the one guy who is hot and we couldn’t survive without him in the lineup. He had a great August, .983 OPS, but the month changed and he suddenly can’t hit. He hasn’t had more than 1 hit in any game this month.

Josh Donaldson: .176/.378/..265, 3 doubles, 11 walks, 9 strikeouts.

Started 10 of the 13 games, DHing yesterday (and maybe for the rest of the season). And he hit 2 doubles yesterday. It looks like he was swinging with his arms, but he was making solid contact. Hard to complain about a guy getting on base 38% of the time and really, considering he’s fighting through pain, very unfair, but who says I have to be fair.

Jose Bautista: .217/.390/.283, 1 home run, 1 caught stealing, 12 walks and 16 strikeouts.

Jose started all 13 games, 6 in RF, 7 at DH. The .390 OBP is great, but then we really would like more power. He made some good catches yesterday. I like that Josh and Jose do have value even when they are in a slump.

Michael Saunders: .143/.167/.171 with 1 double, 0 RBI, 1 walk and 12 strikeouts.

Michael played in 11 games, starting 10 (5 in left and 5 in right). He hasn’t been hitting since the All-Star break. With his defense, he really has to hit to be of any value. At the All-Star, I thought we needed to re-sign him for next year, but I don’t know what is in his future now.

Kevin Pillar: .256/.333/.326, 3 doubles, 2 RBI, 5 walks and 7 strikeouts.

He started all 13 games. No power at all, which seems to be a theme. But 5 walks. Kind of a marginal down arrow. He hasn’t stolen a base this month either. After 25 steals (caught 4 times) last year, he has 11 (caught 5 times) this year.

Melvin Upton Jr : .185/.313/.333 with 1 double, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 2 stolen bases, 1 caught, 5 walks and 9 strikeouts.

Melvin played in 12 games, starting 8, all in left field. He had maybe the 2nd worst defensive game that I’ve ever seen (Elvis Andrus owns the top spot). No one can convince me that the Jays wouldn’t have been better just to call up Dalton Pompey instead of trading for Upton.

Dioner Navarro: .105/.190/.105, 2 RBI, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Dioner played in 8 games, starting 4. One of the starts was at DH. 2 singles in 19 at bats. I’m not sure that he’s really an upgrade from Thole, but his teammates like him. There is something to be said for that, I guess.

Darwin Barney: .222/.300/.222, 1 walk and 1 strikeout.

Darwin played in 7 games, starting 4. He had 6 games at 3B and 1 at short. He’s had interesting first half and second half splits. He had a .345 OBP before the break, .274 after.

Ryan Goins: .167/.167/.167, 3 strikeouts.

Ryan started 2 games, 1 at 3B, 1 at 2B. He only had 6 PA with 1 single.

Justin Smoak: .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts.

Justin played in 6 games starting 2. It isn’t fair to judge on 9 PA but then he hasn’t earned any more playing time. He’s in a tough spot, he seems to need regular work to get whatever passes for timing in his swing.

Neither Up Nor Down:

Edwin Encarnacion: .260/.333/.480, 3 home runs, 2 doubles, 10 RBI, 6 walks and 8 strikeouts.

Edwin started all 13 games, 2 at DH. He’s playing a lot more first, since there are a dozen or so Jays that need the DH spot more than he does. He has looked better defensively.

Ezequiel Carrera: .182/.250/.545, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts.

Ezequiel played in 9 games, starting 2. The game winning home run saves him from a down arrow. It also bought him more playing time. Really deserves an up arrow for getting us a win.

And the others:

Josh Thole had 2 at bats.

Darrell Cecilliani had 1 at bat.

Dalton Pompey had 2 at bats, 1 steal.