Homers from Tulowitzki and Encarnacion help Jays beat Angels

New, 111 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Los Angeles Angels Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 5 Angels 0

I seem to start so many of these recaps the same way....we really should have scored more. Two runs off Jered Weaver, over 6 innings, isn’t enough.

We did get 6 hits and 3 walks off Weaver but the only runs came on a Troy Tulowitzki home run. Thank you Troy.

We didn’t score again until the 9th. Russell Martin doubled, Devon Travis singled, then we had a sac fly from Josh Donaldson and the 2-run shot for Edwin Encarnacion. That was number 40 for Edwin.

R.A. Dickey was pretty good, 5 innings, 7 hits, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts and no runs. He only had 1 clean inning, and loaded the bases in the first inning, but the bend not break thing worked out for him.

Gibby pulled him after two singles to start the 6th inning. I thought it was a quick hook but it was the right move. Joe Biagini gave up a walk, to load the bases, but a strikeout, force out at the plate (on a grounder back to him) and a fly out to center got him out of the inning.

Joaquin Benoit pitched a scoreless 7th, giving up some hard hit balls, but only one base runner.

Jason Grilli got in some trouble in the 8th, allowing 2 walks while getting 2 out and Gibby went to Roberto Osuna for the 4-out save. Thankfully Osuna got out of the 8th quickly, When we scored 3 in the top of the 9th, I wondered about pulling him for the bottom of the inning, but he was likely out of tomorrow’s game anyway.

The interesting moment of the game came in the top of the 3rd. Darwin Barney started the inning with a single, bringing up Josh Thole. Many of us expected him to bunt, since he really can’t hit, but he swung away and tapped one down the first base line. It looked like it was going foul but it came back fair and he got a single out of it.

Travis followed and he bunted at a pitch and missed by a good foot. Barney, seeing he was bunting, got off to a good ‘secondary’ lead and the Angel catcher threw behind him and picked him off. He drove his head into shortstop Andrelton Simmons’ knee. I thought he was concussed, but he stayed in the game.

If you weren’t going to bunt with Thole, there is no way you should be bunting with Travis. I lean towards the idea that Travis was bunting on his own, as Gibby rarely bunts. If he did it on his own he really should be talked to. The manager should be making those decisions, not the players. If Gibby called for it, it was a bad idea.

Anyway, Travis ended up striking out, and, after a walk to Josh Donaldson, Edwin hit into a ground out to end a formerly promising inning.

We had 10 hits and 6 walks in total. Thole and Travis were the only batters to have 2 hits. Donaldson had a hit and 2 walks. Tulo’s homer was our only extra base hit until the 9th when Martin doubled and Edwin homered. All the Jays in the lineup reached base at lease once.

Jays of the Day: Biagini (.222 WPA), Dickey (.106) and Tulo (.175). I’m giving honorary mention to Thole for the .089. And honorary mention to Osuna for getting out of the 8th inning.

Suckage goes to Barney (-.116). Actually Edwin had the number too (-.128) because we were up by 3 in the 9th before he hit the homer, but I’m not giving him the award.

We had 942 comments in the GameThread. Delv213 led us to victory. Good work.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Matt W 84
3 barraqudie 83
4 Tom Dakers 72