If you can’t hit, field or pitch, you’ll lose

New, comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Tampa Bay Rays
This says it all.
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Rays 8

We really should have scored more runs in the first two innings....after that he was a gong show. And I wish someone would have hit the gong much earlier.

We scored 2 in the first, back-to-back doubles from Josh Donaldson (his one that might have hit one of the wonderful rings that circle the roof at Tropicana, and was ruled a ground rule double) and Edwin Encarnacion, plus a single from Russell Martin.

And we had a single and a walk, in the second inning, and Alex Cobb was up over 50 pitches. We thought we would knock him out early.

But that would be pretty much the end of our offense for the night. Cobb would go 5 innings and allow just to 2 earned. We would get 1 more run in the 8th inning when Eddie Gamboa, making his first MLB appearance, walked 2 and gave up a single to load the bases with 1 out, but we could only score 1.

We only had 6 hits in total and the 2 doubles in the first inning were all the extra base hits we would get.

Marcus Stroman we ok, not great, but ok. He went 6 innings, allowed 5 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, 2 walks with 3 strikeouts. He gave up a home run to Logan Morrison on a bad pitch in the 6th and he wasn’t helped by some crappy defense.

Francisco Liriano had a bad time of it, in his first relief appearance as a Jay. He gave up a lead off home run (being fair, it was a fence scrapper), then had an error made behind him. A triple later he would out of the game without getting an out.

Ryan Tepera came in and gave up a home run to Brad Miller (not a fence scrapper, it was crushed). He also hit a batter before getting out of the inning.

Danny Barnes was our first reliever to do a good job, allowing just a walk, and getting 2 strikeouts, in the 8th.

As mentioned, our defense was terrible:

  • Devon Travis made an error trying to rush a soft grounder that he couldn’t have turned into a double play anyway, when he should have just taken the easy out.
  • Marcus had runners on the corner, with one out, and got a grounder come back at him. He should have looked the runner back to third, but instead he rushed a throw to second (hoping to make a double play) and Tulowitzki dropped the ball. The umpires decided he dropped it on the transfer but it cost us a run.
  • Josh Donaldson booted an easy ground ball.

It is likely good to get all the bad baseball out of our system in the first game of the series. We couldn’t hit, field or pitch today.

Jays of the Day: Martin had the number (.108 WPA) for a 1 for 2, with 2 walks.

Suckage: Stroman (-.231) and Melvin Upton (-.109 for an 0 for 4 with 2 k) had the number. I’m also giving one to Liriano for giving up 3 runs without getting an out (though he would have had an out if Donaldson hadn’t booted the easy grounder) and Travis for his 0 for 4, 2 k, plus the error. And, because I am in a crappy mood (bad baseball will do that to a guy) I’m giving one to Michael Saunders for his 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts, but mostly because he struck out chasing, in the 8th, with runners on first and second and Edwin having been walked just in front of him. Make the pitcher throw you a strike when we are down by 6.

We had 752 comments in the thread and Eric H led the way (I’m feeling bad about pointing out that he led the way in our last 2 losses, it’s really not his fault....I don’t think).

# Commenter # Comments
1 Eric H 127
2 barraqudie 84
3 spockster 75