Ezequiel Carrera (and Josh Donaldson) power Jays to 5-1 Win over Baltimore

New, comments

HR’s by Carrera and Donaldson give the Jays the win and much needed breathing room in the Wild Card standings.

Baltimore Orioles v Toronto Blue Jays
Kevin Pillar dives safely into home plate to score a run in the Jays 5-1 win.
Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

Coming off a disappointing loss on Monday night, the Toronto Blue Jays (86-70) needed to have short memories and get back on track in the first of three games against the Baltimore Orioles (85-71).

The Blue Jays entered play in the 1st Wild Card spot, one game above the Orioles, making this likely the defining series of the Jays season. But, they'll have to do it without Devon Travis (day-to-day; shoulder) and Joaquin Benoit (reportedly out indefinitely; torn calf).

Wonderful.

(BOXSCORE for Mobile)

Aaron Sanchez (13-2, 3.12 ERA) and Kevin Gausman (8-11, 3.57 ERA) on the mound for the opener.

The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the 1st Inning when, following an Ezequiel Carrera walk (which he tried very hard not to take), Josh Donaldson destroyed a ball to left field, over the wall, giving the Jays the early lead.

Meanwhile, Sanchez started the game rolling. He struck out five of the first six batters he faced before J.J Hardy doubled to lead off the 3rd. A Chris Davis walk, Manny Machado line out to short, brought up Mark Trumbo. And he singled to centre to score a run for the Orioles, just ahead of a strong, but well late throw by Kevin Pillar.

2-1 Blue Jays

And then Zeke casually homered to left field, his 6th of the season... I'm not even going to make the "no, seriously" joke. At this point, I couldn't make this stuff up. Squeeze bunts, homers, the guy can do it all.

3-1 Blue Jays

The 5th was entertaining. A Pillar single was followed by a Darwin barney bunt, which put Pillar in scoring position for noted power hitter Carrera. He'd single driving home Pillar on perhaps a bad send, but it worked. Then, JD walked bringing up Edwin Encarnacion, leading to a fielder's choice error on a Manny Machado throw allowing Zeke to score.

5-1 Blue Jays

Sanchez was done after 6 IP and he was very good. His final line: 6 IP, allowing 1 ER on 5 H, 10 K's and 3 BB's. His command wasn't always there but he battled and pitched a heck of a game when we needed it most.

Joe Biagini came on in the 7th and pitched two innings of 1-hit, no run relief thanks in part to another Superman diving catch by Kevin Pillar in the 8th. Osuna came in for the 9th (no, I don't know why) and allowed singles to start the inning, but a fielder's choice and double play later the game was over. Blue Jays win!

The Jays now have a 2-game lead over the Orioles, 3.5-games over Detroit (who is winning as of this moment, so likely remains a 3-game lead with 5 to play).

Baltimore Orioles 1 - 5 Toronto Blue Jays

Jays of the Day

Sanchez (.199) pitched a great game. He’s now 14-2 on the year. Carrera (.196), Donaldson (.177) also get the nod's for their production (HR and 2 RBI a piece). Biagini gets a nod from me for his 2-innings of work.

7:07 PM EST start time tomorrow. Francisco Liriano (2-2, 3.35 ERA) vs. Chris Tillman (16-6, 3.84 ERA).

Source: FanGraphs

Let’s see if this works... First time trying...

# Commenter # Comments
2 Cameroli 68
3 delv213 50
4 barraqudie 49