Danny Barnes called up from Buffalo

New, 11 comments
MLB: Spring Training-Philadelphia Phillies at Toronto Blue Jays
Barnes
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The Blue Jays have called up Danny Barnes from Buffalo. He gets Matt Dermody’s spot on the rosters.

Barnes has pitched in 4 games, 6 innings, for the Bisons. He’s allowed 6 hits, 2 earned, no walks with 8 strikeouts.

Danny had his first taste of major league baseball last year, and he was pretty decent. 12 games, 13.2 innings, 14 hits, no home runs, 5 walks, 14 strikeouts, with a 3.95 ERA. I liked him. He was called up in August, made 3 appearances (in one he gave up 2 hits, 2 walks and 2 runs in an inning), then was sent down, coming back when rosters expanded.

Danny was a 35th round draft pick back in 2010. He has been slowly moving up the minor league ladder ever since. Teams tend not to rush 35th rounders along. He put up some pretty spectacular ERAs on the way up. Career he has a 2.39 ERA in 320 innings over 7 seasons. Last year, split between New Hampshire and Buffalo, he had a 0.73 ERA.

In a post this bring I put the over/under at Blue Jays innings pitched for Barnes at 25 and 83% picked the over, so this is first shot at building towards that total.