Jays win, shutout Boston 3-0!

New, 91 comments

Great pitching from Liriano and Biagini

Boston Red Sox v Toronto Blue Jays
I’m with you Jason.
Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

Red Sox 0 Blue Jays 3

Boy scoring is nice.

Bad Red Sox defense helped us out in the second inning. Back-to-back errors, one a throwing error on Mr. Defense Pablo Sandoval and a just a miss on a ground ball by Mitch Moreland (to show my age, I originally typed Keith Moreland) gave us Russell Martin and Troy Tulowitzki on second and third.

After a Justin Smoak strikeout, Darwin Barney singled home our base runners. Then Kevin Pillar and Ezequiel Carrera each singled, bringing Barney around.

Unfortunately, that was the end of our scoring.

We only had 6 hits and 1 walk on the day. 3 of the hits were off Kevin Pillar’s bat and all 6 were singles. Smoak did give one a ride, I thought it was going out, but it was just to the track in center. Outside of Pillar’s singles, we had 1 each from Carrera, Tulo and Barney.

Pillar also had our first (and moments later our second) steal of the season.

Francisco Liriano looked terrific early. He only allowed 2 hits and 1 walk through 5 innings. He gave up a couple of singles, while getting 1 out, in the 6, and Gibby took him out. Joe Biagini came in and got a nice easy double play ball.

Biagini pitched a quick 7th, helped out by a terrific play by Darwin Barney at third base.

Jason Grilli got our heart rate up, in the 8th, giving up a hit and a walk, and bringing the tying run to the plate, but got out of the inning without giving up a run. Yeah would have rather they stayed with Biagini, but taking him out, likely, leaves him able to pitch tomorrow.

Roberto Osuna pitched the 9th. He gave up a 1 out single. But a strikeout and ground out got him a save. My son was thrilled with Osuna and Martin’s ‘dab’ after the win.

Jays of the Day are Liriano (.195 WPA), Biagini (.143) and I’ll give one to Barney for the 2 RBI and the great play at third in the 7th.

Suckage: I’m giving it to Bautista, for his 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts. He is totally lost at the plate. I hope he figures it out soon.

Finally a game where we had great pitching and enough offense to win. YAY.

We had 807 comments in the GameThread. Not bad considering the Leafs were playing at the same time (get them next time). TimmyMax led the way to the win. Good job.

# Commenter # Comments
2 DangYouToHeck 82
3 citizen928 74
4 Belisarius 69