You know, if you can’t hit Jesse Chavez, it might be time to take up a different sport.
Chavez went 6 innings, allowed just 4 hits, 4 walks with 7 strikeouts. And just 1 earned, a Russell Martin solo homer.
We managed 4 base runners, in 3 innings against a rather lousy Angels bullpen, but we couldn’t score.
To add insult to injury:
- Ezequiel Carrera was picked off first base in the 8th.
- Devon Travis was called out for, I guess, interfering with the catcher on a stolen base attempt. His back swing hit the catcher, but then the catcher had popped up out of his crouch. I hated the call. He did step a bit towards the plate, but that’s a call that is never made unless there is body contact between the batter and the catcher. We are getting weird umpiring this series.
- Pillar was caught stealing in the first inning.
- Gibby was ejected for, I think, arguing a third strike call on Russell Martin. It was a terrible call, but the night was full of terrible calls.
- Ezequiel, once again, threw to the wrong base, turning a single into a double.
- We got runners on first and second, with no outs, in the 9th. Chris Coghlan tried to bunt, twice, but couldn’t and then struck out. I HATE bunts with runners on first and second. With the corners in and crashing, it’s almost impossible to get a good bunt down. And you had the pitcher in trouble, and you let him off the hook, without making him pitch his way out of trouble,without mak. Travis followed with a double play to end the game.
- We had O fors from Pillar (0 for 3, 1 walk, 1 caught stealing), Bautista (0 for 2, 2 walks), Morales (0 for 4, he’s been looking terrible lately), and Travis (0 for 4)
- Francisco Liriano pitched well. 5.1 innings, 5 hits, 2 earned, 4 walks and 2 strikeouts. He should have been pulled after 5 and there is no way he should have been allowed to load the bases in the 6th, but that’s not his fault.
- Dominic Leone came in with bases loaded and 1 out, and got 2 strikeouts. Terrific job.
- Joe Smith pitched a quick 7th. Man he looks good.
- Jason Grilli gave up hard contact, including two hard hit line drives, but had a 3 up 3 down 8th.
- Martin hit the home run.
- Ryan Goins made a nice play
And that was about it for good.
I’m all for releasing Ezequiel and calling up Dwight Smith (or really anyone). I don’t see anything that Ezequiel does well enough to earn a spot on a major league roster.
Jays of the Day? Well, FanGraphs seems broken again, so lets give one to Leone and one to Smith. And one to Martin for the home run.
Suckage? Ezequiel for being picked off. Coghlan for not getting down the bunt (though really the Suckage should go to whoever called for the bunt), Morales, Pillar (yeah he got a walk but he also was caught stealing) and Travis for the 0 fors.
We had 1025 comments in the GameThread. A truly amazing number for a bad team playing a late night game. You guys are great company. Matt W led the way. Great job.
|12||Pillar for President||32|