Baseball America updated its Top 100 prospects list and 6 Blue Jays have made the list.
16. Vladimir Guerrero, Jr: Vlad Jr moves up 4 spots from being number 20 back in February. He’s hitting .347/.466/.568 in 27 games for Lansing. Numbers like that would, generally, get you a quick promotion, but Vlad is just 18 and playing full-season ball for the first time. He’s walked (19 times) more than he’s struck out (15 times). He’s even stolen 3 bases, without being caught yet (not that I expect that will be a large part of his game). I don’t know much about his defense but he’s only made 2 errors.
34. Anthony Alford: Alford moves up 25 spots from 59 in February. Anthony has had a nice start to his season, in New Hampshire, hitting .296/.373/.418. And he has 8 stolen bases, caught once. If he continues like that, he should get a call up to Buffalo at some point. He’s on our 40-man, so a September call up wouldn’t be a surprise.
68. Lourdes Gurriel: Lourdes moves up 5 spots from 73. Lourdes has been injured most of this spring, so we don’t have any Dunedin stats to look at. He’s 23 and could raise up quickly if he can get healthy.
70. Sean Reid-Foley: Sean moves up 5 spots from 75. He’s had a rough time of it in New Hampshire, with a 6.30 ERA in 7 starts. Just 20 innings, 25 hits, 2 homers, 14 walks and 23 strikeouts. Yesterday’s start was his best of the season, 5 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned, no walks with 7 strikeouts. I’m hoping that’s a sign of things to come.
89. Rowdy Tellez: Rowdy moves up 6 spots from 95. He’s having a tough time at Buffalo, hitting .219/.329/.344 with 3 home runs (2 of them on opening day), 16 walks and 25 strikeouts.
93. Bo Bichette: Bo is new to their list. He is hitting .365/.450/.594 with 3 home runs, 14 walks and 21 strikeouts at Lansing, again numbers that will get you moved up the ladder, but he is 19 and the team might want him to put in a little time at Lansing. He makes a pretty good pairing with Vlad.
It’s nice to see that we have some very good prospects and even better than some of them might only be a year or two away from being ready to join the Jays.