Blue Jays mid-term report card: Grade Josh Donaldson’s first half

New, 13 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Kansas City Royals Peter G. Aiken-USA TODAY Sports

After winning the AL MVP, in 2015 and being just as good, in 2016, we can be excused for expecting a lot from Josh Donaldson again this year.

Josh is hitting .261/.383/.484 with 9 home runs. FanGraphs has him at a 132 wRC+, which would be pretty good for anyone else on the team

He’s had a pretty rough month. Over his last 22 games, he’s hit .187/.344/.267 with just 1 home run. He seems to have pulled out of it, or I’m hoping he’s pulled out of it. He’s looked much better the last couple of days. It sounds like he was still dealing with leg issues. He looked better on defense and offense, over the past few games.

FanGraphs has Josh at a 0.8 UZR/150 which is a drop from the past. But, he has looked better this week.

If he can hit like we expect him to, he would make the team look so much better. If he hits like he has for the past month, we’ll, most likely, continue to be a last place team.

It will be interesting to see if some team offers the Blue Jays enough to make them consider trading him. He’s under team control through next season. At time, Vlad Guerrero might be ready to take over third, but the team could move Josh to first base or DH, if they wanted to keep him.

Poll

For the first half, I’d give Josh Donaldson an

This poll is closed

  • 1%
    (8 votes)
  • 7%