Blue Jays mid-term report card: Grade Jose Bautista’s first half

New, 48 comments
MLB: Boston Red Sox at Toronto Blue Jays
Kevin Sousa-USA TODAY Sports

Jose Bautista had a rough time in free agency, then ended up coming back to the Blue Jays, taking less money than he hoped to get. He has mutual options, for the next two seasons. We were hoping for a bounce back season.

He’s not really having it. He’s hitting .234/.349/.400 and is sitting at a 102 wRC+ (last year he had a 122). The good news is that he’s been healthy, he’s played in all 88 Jays games so far (I do wish the team would find him some rest time on occasion). He has kicked it up from a very very slow start, he was hitting .109 on April 20th and it took until May 17 to get his average over .200.

He’s been doing much better since moving into the leadoff spot, hitting .284/.407/.388 in 18 games leading off, but with just 2 home runs. He’s really bought into the leadoff thing.

Defensively, he has a -2.5 UZR/150, which is a big step up from the last couple of years (he had a -9.3 last year and a -12.5 in 2015). He has looked better out there. And his arm has come back, maybe not to where he was 4 or 5 years ago, but it is good again.

I’m trying to enjoy watching him this year. He’s been a favorite of mine since joining the club. He came to the Jays just weeks after I joined the site and it is hard to imagine the team without him, but, unless Jose is great for the second half of the season, I doubt he’ll be back.

Poll

For the first half, I’d give Jose Bautista an

This poll is closed

  • 1%
    (19 votes)
  • 4%