Blue Jays mid-term report card: Grade Marco Estrada’s first half

New, 17 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at New York Yankees Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Coming into this season Marco Estrada had two excellent years for the Blue Jays, and we were looking forward to a third.

This season started off well. At the end of May he had a 3.15 and had 8 quality starts in his first 11. He was our best starter for the first two months.

Then came June, 6 starts, only one a quality start. An ERA of 9.11. I don’t know what caused the sudden change, but something isn’t right. I’m thinking he must be dealing with an injury of some sort.

So, first half of season in, he has a 5.17 ERA in 18 starts. His FIP is better, 4.35.

I don’t know why this bad stretch started, so, for all I know, it will end with his next start. Or I hope it will. I’m hoping the few extra days off will help him get over whatever has been going on.

He’s been so good, I don’t want to get down on him for a few bad starts. It seems like a good guy. We owe him, it’s hard to imagine the Jays making the playoffs, these last two years, without him. And his terrific starts against the Rangers, in the ALDS, will remind one of my favorite baseball memories.

Poll

For the first half, I’d give Marco Estrada an

This poll is closed

  • 0%
    (2 votes)
  • 0%