Good pitching and offense, Jays beat Tigers

New, 28 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Detroit Tigers Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 7 Tigers 2

Now that was different, we got both a good game from our starting pitcher and some offense. Maybe the second half will be more fun than the first half.

Aaron Sanchez gave us 6 innings, allowing just 1 unearned run (with runners on first and third, and none out, Alex Avila hit a line drive to Josh Donaldson. He made the catch but tried to double up the runner at first. His throw hit the runner and went past Justin Smoak allowing the runner on third to score). Aaron gave up a few base runners (7 hits and 2 walks) but he pitched himself out of trouble every time. He only had one clean inning.

Aaron wasn’t great, but, all in all, it was a pretty encouraging outing.

And we scored runs.

They didn’t come early, of course. We didn’t score until Steve Pearce hit an home run to lead off the 5th inning. After that, Kevin Pillar reached on a Jose Iglesias two base error. He moved to 3rd on a Darwin Barney ground out, to the right side of the infield. And Jose Bautista hit a fly to center to score Kevin. A small ball run and a home run. Everyone can be happy.

We got another in the 6th. Walks to Smoak and Kendrys Morales plus a Pearce single loaded the bases, and we scored on a Pillar walk. I wonder if that was Kevin’s first bases loaded walk?

Bautista hit a solo homer in the 7th.

And we got 3 in the 8th. A Pearce single, plus walks to Pillar (3 walks in one game!) and Bautista loaded the bases. A Russell Martin walk and a Donaldson 2-run single scored the runs.

We had 8 hits and 9 walks, as the Tigers relievers had a tough time finding the strike zone. Pearce had 3 hits, including the homer. Pillar had 3 walks. Smoak and Morales each. Every Jays starter, except for Troy Tulowitzki, reached base.

Danny Barnes and Joe Biagini each had a scoreless inning of relief. I would have liked Gibby to have let Joe pitch 2 innings, but I guess we’ve had 5 days off. Jeff Beliveau gave up a solo homer in the 9th.

Jays of the Day: Sanchez (.238 WPA), Pearce (.165) and Pillar (.162).

Suckage: Tulowitzki (-.099).

That was a nice way to start the second half. Hope it is a sign of things to come.

We had 694 comments in the GameThread. DangYouToHeck led us to victory.

# Commenter # Comments
2 kateincali 74
3 delv213 68
4 lalalaprise 66