Crappy pitching, hitting and defense add up to a Blue Jays loss

New, 142 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Boston Red Sox Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 1 Red Sox 5

That was a terrible effort in almost all ways. Honestly, we lost 5-1, but it felt much worse than that.

About the only good effort tonight was from, just called up reliever, Cesar Valdez. He pitched 4 innings, allowing just 1 hit, with 5 strikeouts. Generally, a performance like that would get a guy sent back to the minors.

And odds are he will be going down, since Joe Smith will come up soon.

About the only other thing we did well was get a Red Sox out in a rundown.

Beyond that, everything was bad:

Aaron Sanchez had a tough time. He gave up four runs in a very rough 2nd inning. He had a hard time finding the strike zone and when he did, the Red Sox hit the ball hard. In total 4 innings, 6 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned, 5 walks with 2 strikeouts.

And our defense was crappy. Josh Donaldson had the only official error. But Troy Tulowitzki made what would have been an error if it hadn’t come off the bat of Dustin Pedroia. Miguel Montero showed why he’s only thrown out one base stealer this year, Red Sox stole three bases. And there were balls that bounced through the infield that shouldn’t have.

And we only had 5 hits. All singles. One single each for Josh, Smoak, Pillar, Montero (who also had 2 walks) and Barney. Montero and Smoak had the best day with the bats, with a single and 2 walks each. And we hit into 3 double plays.

It’s amazing we scored a run. Montero walked, Barney reached on a Pedroia error (hard to believe the official scorer awarded him an error. And Montero scored on a sac fly from Bautista.

It was just a terrible game all the way around.

I’m giving Valdez a JoD, because he pitched great.

Suckage: Sanchez (-.250 WPA), Morales (-.145) and Pearce (-.111, after being moved into the 2 spot).

We had 442 comment in the GameThread. Alan F led the way for the second straight day. Good work.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Alan F. 49
2 Tom Dakers 38
3 Matt W 33