Justin Smoak voted onto AL All-Star team

New, 52 comments
MLB: Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

Justin Smoak is an AL All-Star! He was voted in as the starter at first base for the AL.

Imagine you had been in a coma for the first half of the season and you woke up and you read those words? You’d be right back into that coma.

For reasons best left unsaid, I was reading through a couple of GameThreads from last year and, well, Smoak was taking a beating from some members (some deservedly, some, well, let’s just say it is good the Jays don’t pay our members to scout). I’m really thrilled for him.

Smoak is hitting .303/.370/.594, with 22 home runs and 52 RBI. He’s a rare bright light in a pretty crappy season.

Apparently Smoak has declined participation in the home run derby, saying ‘if they could see me in batting practice, they wouldn’t invite me’.

Congratulations Smoak. And thank you for giving us something worthwhile to watch in this, less than fun, season.