Yet another bad loss, Jay get thumped in Cleveland

New, 32 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Cleveland Indians David Richard-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Cleveland 13 or so

I’m guessing that we lead the league in games lost my more than a touchdown.

The first 4 innings were fun. Mid-way through the 5th we were up 3-0, having ‘manufactured’ a run in each of the first, second and fifth innings.

Bottom of the fifth the wheels fell off.

Through 4 innings Marco Estrada allowed 3 hits and 1 walk. He looked good, in control like he had figured things out.

The fifth inning went: Triple, walk, single, strikeout (yay), walk, ground out (yay), double (by Edwin) and that was it for Estrada. 4 runs scored in the inning.

Aaron Loup came in and pitched good, 1 hit, 1 earned, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts.

Jean or Jeff or Jake or Jordan (who cares, after tonight we likely won’t see him again for a long time) Beliveau came in and gave up 6 earned, without getting an out.

Cesar Valdez finished out the game, but, by then, no one was watching.

Good news?

Well, we played decent defense, no errors tonight, and made some nice plays. There was a great relay from Pillar to Tulo to Martin to throw Edwin out at the plate, back in the fourth inning, when it still mattered.

We had 4 innings where we had a leadoff double. Two of them scored.

We had 9 hits in all. Of the starters, only Russell Martin (0 for 4) and Kevin Pillar (0 for 4, only 6 pitches total in those 4 at bats, though he did make some good contact). And we had 5 doubles, 1 each from Bautista, Carrera, Tulo, Smoak and Goins. Ryan had a good day, 1 for 3 with a sac fly and a double.

Just to twist the knife in our backs, Edwin Encarnacion was 3 for 4 with a home run and a double and 4 RBI.

Jay of the Day: Smoak had the number, .137 WPA, though I don’t think anyone deserved a JoD in that mess.

Suckage: Estrada (-.381), Beliveau (-.111), Martin (-.116), Pillar (-.114) and Goins (-.108, which doesn’t seem fair really, let’s not give him the ‘award’).

We had 691 comments in the GameThread, almost one comment for every Cleveland run. Belisarius let the way. Great job.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Belisarius 77
2 FlipDown Shades 68
3 Alan F. 62