Who’s Up, Who’s Down: Blue Jays Batters

New, 33 comments

Looking at our hitters over the last two weeks.

Toronto Blue Jays v Cleveland Indians Photo by Ron Schwane/Getty Images

This should be fun, right.

Over the past 11 games, the Blue Jays have scored 39 runs. I had to double check that, because it feels like they haven’t scored 39 runs this season. That comes out to 3.55 runs per game. The team is 4-7 over those 11 games.

Up

Justin Smoak: Started all 11 games. Hit .349/.490/.703 with 4 home runs, 9 RBI, 12 walks and 10 strikeouts. I guess we can stop worrying about him slumping after the All-Star game. 1.192 OPS in the 11 games. Most of the time, he’s been our entire offense. Can you imagine how good things would be if the guys around him were hitting the way they should? He seems like a great guy too, so couldn’t be happier for a player.

Steve Pearce: Played in all 11 games, starting 9. Hit .325/.357/.525 with 2 homers, 5 RBI, 1 walk and 10 strikeouts. I wonder if teams are asking about him at the deadline. He could be a nice addition to a playoff team. It would be nice if he struck out less, but such is life.

Kendrys Morales: Started all 10 of the 11 games. Hit .282/.378/.385 with 1 home run, 5 RBI, 5 walks and 7 strikeouts. Yeah, with no power, but he’s getting on base and that’s more than we can say about most of our lineup. I’d think the team is shopping him hard right now.

Ezequiel Carrera: Played in 9 games, starting 4. Hit .500/.600/.750 with 1 RBI, 3 walks and 2 strikeouts. 2 of the guys actually hitting platoon at one position. He’s having a great season, with the bat. I’d think some contender would want him.

Down

Russell Martin: Played in 8 of the 11 games and hit .147/.237/.265 with 1 home run, 2 RBI, 2 walks and 7 strikeouts. He did have the big throw out of the lead runner on the double steal yesterday. But he’s having a really rough time with the bat.

Troy Tulowitzki: Started 8 of the 11 games. Hit .235/.278/.265 with 1 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 2 walks and 9 strikeouts. He missed a couple of games with what I’ve seen described as a hamstring problems some places and a groin problem other places. He’s been a second half hitter for us, the last couple of years, but no sign that’s happening this year. He’s only 32, his bat shouldn’t have deteriorated this quickly.

Josh Donaldson: Started all 11 games. Hit .159/.275/.205 with 4 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 7 walks and 14 strikeouts. If you asked me before the season, I would have said that there was no way Josh could have a .205 SLG for any 11 game stretch. He’s in danger of finishing the season with a slugging average under .400. He must be hiding an injury right? No way he could just be this bad.

Kevin Pillar: Played in all 11 games, starting 10. Hit .179/.238/.282 with 1 home run, 2 RBI, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts. Maybe we could give him a few more days off. He needs 5 more walks to set a new career high. And 2 more home runs. Personally, I’d be shopping him, hoping that someone sees him as an upgrade.

Jose Bautista: Started all 11 games, he’s played every game this season. Hit .111/.192/.311 with 2 home runs, 5 walks and 14 strikeouts. Not meaning to alibi, because a few extra walks wouldn’t change that he’s been terrible, he seems to be getting robbed on full count pitches a fair bit lately. He’s looked pretty good in the outfield, but I can’t see the Jays picking up his option.

Darwin Barney: Played in 9 games, starting 7. Hit .125/.250/.125, 1 steal, 4 walks and 8 strikeouts. Maybe it’s time to release him and call up Refsnyder.

Miguel Montero: Played in 5 games, starting 3. Hit .077/.200/.077. 1 singles in 13 at bats. Pretty small sample, but it would be nice if he hit better after joining the team.

Somewhere In Between

Ryan Goins: Played in 9 games, starting 7. Hit .250/.259/.333 with 5 RBI, 1 walk and 5 strikeouts. The bad part is that batting line slightly better than his season numbers so I didn’t have the heart to put him in the down group. The Jays media guys keep talking him up so much that I’m thinking he has kidnapped their families. Barry Davis seems to have appointed himself head of the Goins fan club.

Injured

Anthony Alford: Broken hamate. Rehabbing in Double A. Hitting .143 in 6 games.

Darrell Ceciliani: Rehabbing in Dunedin. 4 games, hitting .400/.500/.400 in 12 PA.

Dalton Pompey: Back on the DL (well, never really off), after reinjuring himself during his rehab assignment.

Devon Travis: Taking ground balls.

Chris Coghlan: Left wrist confusion, he thought it was his right wrist. What? Contusion. That makes more sense.

Luke Maile: On the DL, not expected back until rosters expand.