Who’s Up, Who’s Down: Blue Jays Pitchers

New, 8 comments

Looking at our pitchers over the last two weeks.

Toronto Blue Jays v Cleveland Indians Photo by Ron Schwane/Getty Images

Over the last two weeks, the Jays are 5-7. The pitchers have a 4.54 ERA.

UP

Marcus Stroman: 2 starts. 0.63 ERA. Batters hit .196/.300/.235, with 0 home runs, 8 walk and 12 strikeouts in 14.1 innings. The team was 1-1 in the two starts, he didn’t get a decision in either start. The 8 walks a little out of character, it is more walks than he handed out in 36 innings in April. I wonder how many phone calls the front office has taken, this trade deadline, that started ‘what would it take to get Marcus Stroman from you?’.

Roberto Osuna: Pitched 6 games. 1.42 ERA. 4 saves, 1 blown save (his first since April). Batters hit .182/.217/.182 with 1 walk and 10 strikeouts in 6.1 innings. He’s been great. He’s given up 1 walk this month, after 1 walk last month.

Ryan Tepera: 6 games. 0.00 ERA. He had 1 win and 3 holds. Batters hit .000/.100/.000 with 2 walk and 5 strikeouts in 6 innings. That’s no hits in 20 PA. Gibby’s continuing to be careful with his innings, which must be hard to do, because he’s been so good, I’d want to use him all the time. It does seem that, if the team wanted to trade Osuna, he could slide into the closer role.

Dominic Leone: Pitched in 3 games. 0.00 ERA. Batters hit .154/.214/.308 with 1 walks and 5 strikeouts. I have a hard time remembering if he is with the team or in Buffalo at any given moment. I’m thinking that, if Joe Smith is traded, he’ll stay up with team the rest of the season.

Joe Biagini: Appeared in 6 games. 0.00 ERA. Batters hit .111/.226/.111, with 4 walks and 7 strikeouts in 9 innings. Just 3 singles allowed in 31 PA. He’s been excellent and he’s one of the few in the bullpen who we can use for multiple innings.

Cesar Valdez: Pitched in 3 games, 1 start. 1.54 ERA. Batters hit .238/.256/.357 with 1 walk and 11 strikeouts in 11.2 innings. He looks excellent last night. Sometimes it seems like a simple game, throw strikes, everything works out. That’s what Cesar did. I’m curious to see if he can look that good two starts in a row.

Down

Francisco Liriano: Made 3 starts, 2 were terrible, 3.2 total innings, 7 earned, 1 was pretty good, 5 innings, 2 earned. In total a 9.35 ERA, in 8.2 innings. Batters hit .314/.429/.543, with 2 home runs, 7 walks and 8 strikeouts. The rumor is the Royals are talking to the Jays about picking him up, I wonder if we can get prospect equal to what we got from the Pirates to take him last year?

J.A. Happ: 2 starts, one pretty good, 5 innings 2 earned. The other bad, 6 innings, 7 earned (at least he ate some innings). In total a 7.36 ERA. Batters hit ..292/.358/.500 with 3 homers, 5 walk and 5 strikeouts in 11 innings. Not exactly raising his trade value. After winning 20 games last year, he is sitting with 3 wins at the moment. Never know what might happen with pitchers. This sort of thing would drive me crazy on OOTP Baseball, but players often go from good to bad seasons.

Marco Estrada: Made 2 starts. Neither went well. 9.72 ERA. Batters hit .333/.429/.636 with 1 homers, 7 walks and 8 strikeouts in just 8.1 innings. I don’t know what’s going on, and it doesn’t appear that he does either. It seemed to come up suddenly, but hasn’t yet gone away suddenly.

Aaron Loup: Pitched in 3 games. 9.00 ERA. Batters hit ..250/.294/.438 with 1 homer, 1 walks and 5 strikeouts in 4 innings. He’s been better against RHB (.727 OPS) then LHP (.788 OPS). Beliveau had taken over for him, as the number 1 lefty, until Jeff had that bad bad outing.

Jeff Beliveau: Pitched in 4 games. 54.00 ERA. Batters hit .700/.769/1.400 in 14 PA with 2 homers, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts. He was doing pretty good, then, suddenly, he wasn’t. The 6 earned against Cleveland wrecked his ERA and it got him DFAed. I’m kind of doubting we’ll see him again.

Also Pitched:

Joe Smith: 2 games since coming off the DL. Gave up a run in 2 innings. 2 hits, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts. On hug watch.

Chris Smith: 1 game. 1 inning. 1 double allowed.

Lucas Harrell: 2 games. 1.2 innings. Allowed 1 hits, 2 walks, 1 strikeout. No earned runs. And he’s back in Buffalo.

On the DL

Aaron Sanchez: Made 2 starts. 2.70 ERA. Batters hit .317/417/.366, with 7 walks and 6 strikeouts in 10 innings. He’s had a frustrating time of it. .

J.P. Howell: I can’t imagine he’ll be back.

Mike Bolsinger: Pitched in 2 games. 5.14 ERA. Batters hit .296/.355/.593 with 2 home runs, 3 walks and 10 strikeouts. And he’s on the DL.

Danny Barnes: 5 games. 9.64 ERA. 1 hold, 1 blown save, 1 loss. Batters hit .350/.435/.850 with, 3 homers, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts in 4.2 innings and then went on the DL. We should have guessed something was wrong. Shoulder impingement is what the team is saying.

Leone Campos: Out with a groin strain.