Jays Walk-Off A’s

New, 89 comments

Justin Smoak and Kendrys Morales homer in the 9th.

MLB: Oakland Athletics at Toronto Blue Jays
We don’t have a ‘walk-off picture yet, I’ll replace this later.
John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports

A’s 2 Blue Jays 3

Wow.

After doing nothing offensively for 8 innings, we score 3 in the bottom of the 9th to get our 3rd straight win.

In the bottom of the 9th, A’s closer Santiago Casilla started things off with a walk to Josh Donaldson. Then Justin Smoak crushed the game tying homer. I was still cheering that (sorry neighbors) when Kendrys Morales hit the game winner. We haven’t had an ending that good in a long long time.

Marco Estrada looked good. It’s too bad we couldn’t score for him.

He had a rough first inning, giving out 2 walks and an infield single, but he pitched out of it. In fairness, the infield single was a weakly hit ball, that went to the right spot in the Jays shifted infield. After that, 3 innings, with just 1 hit against.

It looked like he tired, a bit, in the 5th. He gave up a 2-out walk and then a Marcus Semien home run to the opposite field. It just cleared the wall. But, it still counts.

He looked more like the Estrada had grown to love over the last couple of years. I hope it’s a step in the right direction.

We couldn’t get anything going against A’s rookie starter Paul Blackburn. We had 2 hits and 3 walks against him in 7 innings. Jose Bautista led off the bottom of the first with a double and Josh Donaldson had a 2-out double in the 6th. It wasn’t like we were striking out a lot either, Blackburn only had 3.

Miguel Montero greeted A’s reliever Blake Treinen with a single to start the bottom of the 8th, but we still couldn’t score, though Bautista hit a drive to the wall in center, but caught.

And then came the 9th......

Our bullpen did their job. They gave us the chance for the comeback win:

  • Matt Dermody did the LOOGY thing, getting the first out of the 6th inning, a strikeout. I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of using him for just 1 out so early, but it’s his first action since his recall.
  • Dominic Leone pitched 2 clean innings, with a strikeout.
  • Aaron Loup got the last 2 outs of the top of the 8th and the first out of the 9th.
  • Joe Biagini finished off the 9th, helped by a very nice play by Donaldson.

Jays of the Day: Smoak (.398 WPA) and Morales (.295). And let’s give one to each of the relievers.

Suckage: Tulo (-.139), Goins (-.111), Pillar (-.109) and Pearce (-.099). They were each 0 for 3.

We had 375 comments in the GameThread. Alan F led us to victory. Good Job.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Alan F. 53
2 Tom Dakers 49
3 westbromjayfan 36