I’m running out of titles for losses, Jays lose to Yankees

New, 67 comments

Also running out of patience for losses.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at New York Yankees Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Yankees 6

So....once again, the offense didn’t do much (well, at least until the bottom of the 9th), the pitching wasn’t good enough, and we had some troubles fielding. Oh, and a Jay left the game with an apparent injury. Gibby says his finger was raw, and could have become a blister, so they took him out before it got bad.

But other than offense, pitching, defense and health....all is good.

The worst news was that Marcus Stroman came out of the game, after 5 innings, with a hand injury of some sort. Gibby says his finger was raw, and could have become a blister, so they took him out before it got bad.

Marcus gave up a couple of runs in the first. He was having some trouble finding where home plate umpire Jerry Meales was hiding the strike zone. Meales wasn’t giving Marcus anything that was anywhere near the edges of the strike zone. Marcus gave up 1-out singles to Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez. Then a walk, a hit batter and a walk. 2 runs scored before Stroman got the second out. After that, Marcus allowed just 3 more baserunners before coming out after 5.

Aaron Loup and Danny Barnes each pitched a good inning.

Ryan Tepera had troubles. He gave up a leadoff single, just past Ryan Goins. Then a double, just over Steve Pearce’s head in left (we really could use a left fielder with range). A walk and a double later and the Yankees doubled their score to 4.

After a strikeout, Tepera got a soft grounder back to him, he threw home, easily in time to get the runner, Didi Gregorius, but Maile couldn’t hold on to the ball. Didi knocked it away, I’m not sure if on purpose or by accident but....2 more runs would score. Suddenly it was 6-1. Mike Bolsinger came in and got the last two outs.

Terpera could have used some help from his defense, but he was giving up some hard hit shots.

We are using the pen too much. Of course, it wasn’t Stroman’s fault, without the hand problem, he likely would have gone 7. But, when you are asking the bullpen to do 3-4 or more innings a night, they are going to give up runs.

Offensively.....well once again we didn’t do much.

We didn’t score until the 7th inning, and that was with the Yankees’ help. Ezequiel Carrera was hit by pitch, with one out. He stole second (I think it was to be a hit and run but Darwin Barney missed the pitch). Yankees’ Gary Sanchez threw the ball into center field and Ezequiel went to third. Yankees overthrew third too, but the ball didn’t go into the dugout, so Carrera stayed at third. But Barney blooped one into left to score him.

We did get a couple of runs in the 9th, off Aroldis Chapman. Doubles by Kendrys Morales and, pinch hitter, Kevin Pillar, scored us 1. Barney singled to drive home his second run of the game. But that was where the rally ended.

3 runs, for our offense, is a lot.

We ended up with 8 hits, 3 in that 9th inning. Barney was the only one to get 2 hits. Donaldson (again), Pearce and Goins had 0 fors.

No Jays of the Day again. Ezequiel had the top mark at .051 WPA. He did fine in center field as well, no miss plays that I noticed.

Suckage: Tepera (-.128, he could have used help from his defense, but he was giving up some hard hits) and Pearce (-.100). Donaldson (-.086) and Goins (-.081) were close.

We had 489 comments in the GameThread. Alan F led the way. Great job.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Alan F. 67
2 lalalaprise 64
3 Tom Dakers 45