Donaldson and Tulo homer, Jays beat Astros

New, 82 comments
MLB: Houston Astros at Toronto Blue Jays Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

Astros 2 Blue Jays 7

Sometimes Marcus Stroman is just so good.

It took him a bit to get going today (it took me a bit to get going today, so I’m understanding). He gave up a couple of walks in the first inning. A couple of singles in the second inning. And a walk, a double and a single, scoring the only run against him, in the third inning. After that, he allowed just 2 more baserunners.

He had the ground ball working for him too, he had 4 double plays turned, to help him out, one of them a strikeout/throw out, with Russell Martin catching George Springer trying to steal.

In total, he went 7 innings, allowed 6 hits, 3 walks with 6 strikeouts. As always he got a lot of ground balls, 7 ground outs to 2 fly outs. 3 of the hits against him were ground balls that went through the infield.

He was helped out by some great defense. In the 3rd inning, with 2 on, and 1 already in, Carlos Correa hit a line drive that looked like it was going over Donaldson, but he jumped, made a nice catch and threw to first, to easily get the double play. That was a big moment in the game. That gets past Josh and the Astros are up 3-0 with a runner on and no outs.

Offensively, we didn’t do much, until the fifth inning. In the fifth, Jose Bautista was hit by a pitch, then Russell Martin lined a single to right. Josh Donaldson had a pitch come up and in, and he didn’t look happy about it, he took a couple of seats towards the mound, but then stepped back into the box. Two pitches later, he hit a home run. That was his first home run since June 11th. His at bat was a big moment of the game, up until then, we were down 1-0 and it didn’t look like we were going to score.

We added 4 in the 7th. Martin singled, Donaldson walked and then Justin Smoak hit one to the fence in right center. I thought it was going out, and so did Buck, but hit the bottom of the fence (tough to see in the shadows). That scored Martin. Josh almost fan into third base coach Luis Rivera, stopping after turning third hard. Good thing he stopped, he would have been out easy.

After a rather terrible Kendrys Morales at bat, Troy Tulowitzki crushed a homer to center, scoring 3 and giving us a 6 run lead. Troy’s been on a hot streak, hitting .400 over his last 7 games. It’s nice to see.

We had 8 hits and 5 walks on the day. The big hits were the home runs, so the folks that hate us scoring on homers can complain, but I figure they count just as much as other runs. Everyone in the starting lineup reached back, except for Ezequiel Carrera, who was 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts.

There was a strange moment, the umpire granted time while Marcus was in the middle of his windup. Marcus wasn’t happy and he went to the umpire saying that you can’t be doing that. Marcus is right, but I’m betting it will continue happening.

Also Marwin Gonzalez was ‘unhappy’ that Marcus enjoyed getting him to strikeout to end the 6th inning. David Price said it right, if you don’t like it, play better. I tire of these guys that think it’s ok for their team to celebrate but not if the other team does it.

Danny Barnes pitched a nice quick 8th. Joe Biagini (back in the bullpen) pitched the 9th. He gave up a home run, but it didn’t matter.

Jays of the Day: Stroman (.283 WPA), Donaldson (.386) and I’m going to give one to Tulo too....we didn’t need the extra runs, but they didn’t hurt.

No Suckage Jays: Morales had the low mark at -.085.

We only had 292 comments in the GameThread. TimmyMax led us to victory. Good job.

# Commenter # Comments
1 TimmyMax 79
2 Tom Dakers 45
3 Matt W 36