Jays get a beat down by Astros

New, 38 comments
MLB: Houston Astros at Toronto Blue Jays Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

Astros I don’t know. Many, many runs. Low triple digits I think. Blue Jays 1

So that was a mess. Just an ugly game in all ways.

I didn’t think J.A. Happ pitched all that badly. He gave up 3 home runs, but 2 of them looked like good pitches. He pitched 4 innings, allowed 7 hits, 6 runs, just 2 earned, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts.

The 4 unearned runs came after a throwing error by Josh Donaldson. If you want a handy example of why errors are a misleading stat, just watch Josh’s error in the second inning. Josh made a great diving stop, I’m not sure how many 3Bs make that play, gets up and fires way high. He could have gotten Happ out of the inning.

Josh had a rough day, he had another error, later in the game, and he tried to stretch a single into a double, and got thrown out at second. It was a really bad idea, we had 2 outs and we were down by 5. With 2 on and Justin Smoak at the plate, we had a shot to get back into the game. Getting that extra base wasn’t going to change your chances to win.

Our bullpen didn’t do any better than Happ:

  • Lucas Harrell pitched 2 innings, allowing 4 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk with 2 k.
  • Aaron Loup didn’t get an out, allowed 2 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned and hit a batter.
  • Ryan Tepera pitched an inning, gave up 2 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk, 1 strikeout and 1 massive homer.
  • Jeff Beliveau pitched a nice 3 up 3 down inning.
  • Joe Biagini gave up 2 hits, 4 earned, 3 walks and couldn’t get the 3rd out of the 9th.
  • Danny Barnes did get the 3rd out of the 9th. One pitch, and he got a fly out. He can be JoD.

And we didn’t do much on offense. 7 total hits (one of those being the single that Josh tried to stretch into a double) and 5 walks.

Ezequiel Carrera hit a solo homer with 2 outs in the 9th to ruin the shutout.

We did have a couple of chances to score. In the 4th inning, Astros pitcher Brad Peacock walked the bases loaded with just 1 out. But Kevin Pillar and Ryan Goins both popped out. And, in the 6th, Steve Pearce walked and Kevin Pillar doubled, but Goins, again popped out. Why we didn’t pinch hit for him, in either spot, is an open question. In 2 at bats, he stranded 5 base runners. This idea that he magically hits better with runners on base is silly and it makes Goins look like an idiot...if you can hit why would you save it for a handful of your at bats?

No Jays of the Day. Pearce had the high mark at .043 WPA.

Suckage: Happ (-.330) and I’m giving one to Donaldson (for the 2 errors and getting throw out at 2nd) and Goins (for the 5 left on in 2 at bats). The whole team deserves a Suckage for that mess.

I’m so glad the break is here.

We had 277 comments in the GameThread. I led the way....stupid me for watching.....

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 57
2 Matt W 51
3 TimmyMax 35