clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Poll Time: Second Best Second Baseman in Blue Jays History

MLB: AL Wild Card-Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays
Easily the best 2B we’ve had.
Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

I figured we’d all agree that the best second baseman in Blue Jays history is Roberto Alomar, so lets vote on who is the second best second baseman in team history.

I’ve also skipped a couple of the first basemen from the early years. Steve Staggs played second in our opening season, but didn’t make it to out second season. Danny Ainge was likely the best pickup basketball player we ever had, but he couldn’t hit a baseball if it was the size of a basketball. And Dave McKay was Canadian, but a .252 OBP and .314 slugging average. Maicer Izturis and Darwin Barney don’t make the poll either.

  • Damaso Garcia: He played 7 seasons for the Jays. Hit .283/.309/.371 with 194 steals (86 times caught). Garcia was the type of player that’s pretty much disappeared from baseball. High average, no walks (back in the ‘you can’t walk off the island days), no power and stole bases at a break even rate. And he was our lead off man for most of his time as a Jay (and got pretty irate when the team wanted to move him from lead off). He was averageish defensively. I have fond memories, but then he played before had the term ‘empty batting average’.
  • Nelson Liriano: He was a Jay for 3 and a half seasons and hit .251/.311/.345. I really don’t remember much about him.
  • Homer Bush: Homer came over in the trade that sent Roger Clemens to the Yankees (along with Graeme Lloyd and David Wells). He had a very good first season, hitting .320/.353/.421 in 129 games. Then he had a couple of half-seasons, playing 76 and 78 games. He was released after 23 games of the 2002 season. In total, 305 games, .283/.321/.360 with 56 steals. When he was good, he was very good, but he wasn’t consistent.
  • Orlando Hudson: Came up as a rookie in 2002 and played for us for 4 seasons. Hit .270/.328/.418 in 462 games. He won a Gold Glove in 2005. He was traded to the Diamondbacks for Troy Glaus and Sergio Santos.
  • Aaron Hill: Came up in 2005, and played 7 seasons for the Jays. 7 rather up and down seasons. He had a very good season, in 2009, hitting .286/.330/.499 with 36 home runs. In 2010, he hit .205/.271/.394 with 26 home runs. In 875 games, he hit .265/.318/.413 with 96 home runs.
  • Kelly Johnson: Played 2 seasons as a Jay. Hit .233/.323/.375 with 19 home runs in 175 games. He came to us in trade for Hill and John McDonald.
  • Munenori Kawasaki: On here just because he was a fan favorite. If you are going to be replacement level, you might as well be fun to watch. He was fun to watch.
  • Ryan Goins: 5 seasons now, split between second and short. Has hit .226/.274/.330 career about the same as he’s hit this year. He’s been a highlight reel with the glove.
  • Devon Travis: When he’s been in the lineup, he’s been great. He’s hit .292/.331/.462 with 24 home runs in 213 games, over 3 seasons. I think, he could stay healthy, he’d be the easy choice, but that’s not happening.

Poll

Who is the second best second baseman in Blue Jays history?

This poll is closed

  • 13%
    Damaso Garcia
    (320 votes)