Jays can’t hit Tanaka, lose to Yankees

New, 14 comments
Toronto Blue Jays v New York Yankees
Urena saves Lopez an error.
Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images

Blue Jays 0 Yankees 4

The Jays just couldn’t hit Masahiro Tanaka today. After the series in Boston, I thought Red Sox fans must be in full panic about their rotation going into the playoffs. Yankees fans must feel pretty good after watching Tanaka (though, the Astros sure beat up on their other pitchers).

Tanaka went 7 innings, allowed just 3 hits (2 singles and a double), had no walks and struck out 15. I think it is fair to point out that the plate umpire’s strike zone was huge. I don’t think I’ve seen Blue Jays strike zone call a pitch a 0% call before, but Ryan Goins took a ‘strike three’ that was a 0% call. And there were a number of other ‘low percentage’ strike calls. But, Tanaka really didn’t need the help, we couldn’t hit him.

Joe Biagini had a tough first inning. He gave up a single, walk, single, single and sac fly to allow two runs in the first. Gibby came out and gave him a good talking to, and Joe seemed to respond. He would get the next 9 batters out and 11 of the next 12. He did give up another run, in the 5th inning, off a single, a steal and another single.

In all, 5 innings, 6 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.

If we could have scored him some runs, it would have been a good enough start. But we didn’t.

The Yankees stole 4 bases off Raffy Lopez (and his pitchers). Of the 4 steals, there were 2 really bad throws, 1 with no reason to throw (runner got a great jump) and one pretty good throw, just a bit late.

Our pen did ok:

  • Matt Dermody allowed 2 hits, an earned run getting a strikeout (his only out).
  • Danny Barnes took over for him and got a double play to end the inning.
  • Tom Koehler pitched a nice 7th, giving up a walk, but following it with 3 strikeouts. I think he could be a nice part of our pen next year.
  • Tim Mayza pitched a nice quick 8th, getting Aaron Judge to strikeout, Didi Gregorius to fly out and Starlin Castro to strikeout. Nice to see a good inning from Mayza

As noted, we did nothing offensively. Ezequiel Carrera was the only Jay to reach base twice, 1 single and 1 walk. But, after he singled, in the 5th inning, our first hit of the game, he stole second and then was picked off of second base. It made me nostagic for old-time managers like Billy Martin, who would have met him at the top step of the dugout and would have informed him, at great volume, that he was going to sit the rest of the game.

Besides Carrera, before the bottom of the 9th, Donaldson doubled and Goins singled Every Jay starter struck out at least once.

We had a bit of a rally in the 9th. Richard Urena had a hard hit line drive single, to lead off the inning. Teoscar Hernandez followed with a walk (after being 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts).

Yankees brought in Aroldis Chapman, who struck out Josh Donaldson. Jose Bautista hit a weak grounder up the middle, which looked like a double play ball, but Castro throw the relay well over first, so just a force out. Rob Resnyder struck out to end the game, number 18th of the game.

No Jays of the Day.

Suckage? Biagini had a -.097 WPA. Lopez had a -.093 and that doesn’t include the four steals against. And let’s give one to the rest of the batting order.

We have 2 more day games left and then it is the off-season, an off-season that will likely be very interesting.

Only 241 comments in our weekday, daygame, GameThread. I led us to defeat.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 55
2 kateincali 28
3 vinnievanloewen 28