Poll time: Who was the Jays’ Best First Baseman?

New, 75 comments
MLB: Oakland Athletics at Toronto Blue Jays John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports

We’ve had quite a few very good first basemen in our history.

I have affection for a lot of them.

  • John Mayberry, to me, was kind of the first star to come to the team. He had been second in MLB voting in 1975, then was traded to the team before the 1978. I didn’t know it at the team, Whitey Herzog, manager for the Royals, wanted to get rid of him, feeling he was a bad influence on younger player. To me, he was this happy smiley guy, but, he was a party guy. The Royals had a number of players that we would find out, partied pretty good. But they had a good team.
  • Willie Upshaw is one the best Rule 5 pickups we’ve ever had.
  • I still think Fred McGriff is a Hall of Famer.
  • I’ll never forget Gord Ash for trading John Olerud for basically nothing. Cito never really liked Olerud, I wonder what his time in Toronto would have been like if he had a manager that really believed in him.
  • Carlos Delgado may have been the best hitter I’ve watched.
  • Adam Lind will always be a favorite of mine.
  • Ditto for Edwin.
  • I thought Lyle Overbay was the best at scooping throws in the dirt, now I’m thinking Justin Smoak might be better. I think Smoak is the best at keeping contact with the bag, while going to get a bad throw.

Poll

Who was the Jay's Best First Baseman?

This poll is closed

  • 0%