A wet, soggy, loss.

New, 36 comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Boston Red Sox Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Blue Jays 1 Red Sox 6

Well, that was a waste. A boring game near the end of a bad season.

Joe Biagini showed he couldn’t pitch in a hard rain. He was doing ok, 1 run in the first 3 innings, until the rain picked up in the 4th inning. He gave up 4 runs in a rain that really should have convinced the umpires to delay the game.

In the fourth inning, he gave up:

  • A walk.
  • A Xander Bogaerts triple (kind of misplayed by Ezequiel Carrera, but maybe because he was running carefully on a slippery field).
  • A Rafael Devers single to left.
  • And, after a ground out, he gave up a homer to Jackie Bradley. A walk later he was out of the game.

I’m going to give Joe a mulligan for this one. Tough to get a grip on the ball. He was trying to find a dry spot on his uniform to dry his hand, but it’s pretty tough in that rain.

The funny part was that the rain seemed to let up for the Red Sox defensive halves of the innings.

Tim Mayza came in and allowed 1 run in 1.2 innings.

Carlos Ramirez pitched 2 scoreless innings, allowing a walk and getting a strikeout. He was having some trouble with the mound in the rain.

Aaron Loup had a walk and a strikeout in his inning.

About the best thing to happen was in the bottom of the 5th inning. The Red Sox had the bases loaded, helped along by a Richard Urena error on a ball that skipped through him. Andrew Benintendi hit a fly to short left. Michael Saunders came in, but the ball glanced off his glove and fell to the ground. I think, the rain in his eyes caused him to misjudge it. Anyway, he quickly picked it up and threw home, getting a force on the runner from third base. But the runner on second didn’t take off for third base, and, after a moment of players yelling at him, Montero threw to third to get another force out.

A 7-2-5 double play. And they say the 3-4-3 double play is the toughest in baseball.

Offensively, we didn’t do much. 4 hits, 3 walks and 10 strikeouts.

We scored our run in the first. Carrera singled and, after Teoscar Hernandez struck out, Justin Smoak doubled. After a Kendrys Morales strikeout, Saunders walked to load the bases and Miguel Montero walked to drive in a run. But Darwin Barney ground out to end the inning.

We had a lead for a moment.

After that we would only get 2 more singles and 1 more walk. It really looked like we couldn’t wait to get it over with.

Jays of the Day? Montero had the number, .105 WPA, but the Red Sox stole 4 bases off him, so I’m not giving him the award.

Suckage: Biagini (.-.279), Barney (-.123, 0 for 4, 2 k), Morales (-.115, 0 for 4, 1 k) and Hernandez (-.094, 0 for 4, 2 k).

We had 323 comments in the GameThread. Matt W led the way. Good job sir. I was hoping to win, as it was my last GameThread for a couple of weeks, I’ve got a little holiday starting Friday.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Matt W 53
2 kateincali 41
3 lalalaprise 38