Happy Birthday Edwin Encarnacion

New, 23 comments
ALCS - Cleveland Indians v Toronto Blue Jays - Game Five Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images

Edwin Encarnacion turns 35 today.

When we traded Scott Rolen to the Reds for Josh Roenicke, Zach Stewart and Edwin, no one would have guessed that Edwin would be the last one standing. Course, Edwin did spend 3 weeks as a Oakland A, in the winter of 2010.

Edwin wasn't exactly loved for his first couple of years as a Jay. Fans tend to be impatient. We weren't all fans of Jose Bautista's right away either. You would think we'd learn a little patience by now, especially with players with tons of power. Being fair to those that didn't like him, his defense was pretty awful at third base. He had his moments, including burning himself with fireworks on New Years.

But Edwin turned his career around in 2012 and gave us 5 excellent seasons, putting up bWAR values of over 4 each year. He was fun to watch, showing more personality each season. Watching his reaction to the hats being thrown out on the field, when he hit the 3 home runs, was great.

I’m pretty sure most of us would say our favorite Edwin moment was the 2016 Wild Card winning home run against the Orioles. He hit 4 playoff homers for us. He was 0 for 7 with Cleveland, in their playoff run last year. He loved us more.

I’ll admit to being very sad when he signed with Cleveland. I would have enjoyed watching him play with us for a few more years.

Edwin spot on our franchise leader board:

  • 7th among position players in bWAR at 24.4.
  • 4th in slugging average, at .522.
  • 3rd in home runs at 239.
  • 12th in games player at 999.

Edwin, Happy Birthday, have a great day.

It is also Kevin Mench birthday, he turns 40 today. Kevin was half of the two headed Mencherson monster that delighted (very subtle sarcasm there, for those of you that weren't following the team at the time) Jays fans in 2008.

And Frank Menechino turns 47 today. Frank was a utility infielder for the Jays in 2004 and 2005. He had a very good season, hitting .301/.400/.504 in 2004 and then a lesser season, hitting .216/.352/.345 in 2005, playing about 70 games each season. Frank was one of many that have come to us in trade from the A's over the years.

So Happy Birthday Kevin and Frank. Hope it is a good one.