It seemed like a game highlighted by bad defense, along with some hard hit balls.
Ryan Borucki had a tough time, just 2.1, 2 hits, 4 runs, 2 earned, 2 walks, 1 strikeout and 1 home run. But really the home run was the only real hit off him. In the first he gave up a line drive that went off J.D. Davis’ glove for a ‘double’. And, the home run, in the second inning, came after a Kevin Pillar 2-out error, an easy fly ball that went off the edge of his glove.
Ryan caused himself some of the trouble. In the first, after a leadoff walk, Borucki threw wild on a pick off attempt. The runner, Mookie Betts, went to 3rd when first baseman Jason Leblebijian was slow getting the ball back into the infield.
- Luis Santos: 1.1, 3 hits, 2 earned. 2.45 ERA. He didn’t impress me, but that was his first bad appearance of the spring.
- Matt Dermody: 1 inning, 4 hits, 1 earned, 2 k. 9.00.
- Rhiner Cruz: 1.1 clean. 1.59.
- Chad Girodo: 1.0, 1 hit, 1 walk. 0.00.
- Deck McGuire: 1 inning, 2 strikeouts. 0.00. Deck looked very good.
We had a tough time against David Price, who was making his first official appearance in a spring game (he’s been pitching in minor league games and intersquad games). He went 4 innings, allowing just 1 hit and 1 walk.
- Aledmys Diaz: 2 for 4, 1 k. .267.
- Kevin Pillar: 0 for 4, k. .448. Plus the error, it was a bad day for Pillar.
- Steve Pearce: 1 for 3, double, walk, k. .385.
- Teoscar Hernandez: 2 for 4, bases loaded double, 2 k. .375. Hits or strikeouts. Nothing else. He crushed that double.
- Jason Leblebijian: 0 for 2, walk, k. .243. He didn’t impress me with his defense at first, but then it was just one game.
- Reese McGuire: 0 for 2, 2 k. Also had a very nice sac bunt, with runners on first and second. Of course, we couldn’t score them.
- Richard Urena: 1 for 2, k. .148.
- Roemon Fields: 0 for 2, 1 k. .318.
- Gift Ngoepe: 0 for 2, walk. .125.
- J.D. Davis: 0 for 1, k. .250.
- Tim Lopes: 0 for 2, k. .176.
Jays drop to 9-11. Tomorrow they take the 15 minute drive to Clearwater to play the Phillies and the game is on MLB.tv again, thanks to the Phillies for broadcasting it.