Anthony Alford was having a very good start to his spring. Unfortunately that has come to an end, the team announced that he has a grade 2 hamstring strain and will be out 4-6 weeks. From what I read on the internet, there are 3 grades, 1 is mild and 3 is very severe and could mean surgery.
Alford was hitting .323/.313/.645 with 1 homer, 2 triples and 3 doubles (and yes 4 singles) this spring and was getting praise from his manager.
It was very unlikely that he was going to make the team, Teoscar Hernandez is also having a great spring and was the more likely choice if the team needs someone to fill in if Pearce, Granderson, Pillar or Grichuk were to miss the start of the season.
Heal up quick Anthony. I really would like to see you in Toronto this season.
Also on the injury front, Justin Smoak has a minor wrist spring. He is day-to-day but is expected to play tomorrow.
Others out at the moment:
- Troy Tulowitzki, bone spur, back late April at best.
- Marcus Stroman, shoulder inflammation. Is to pitch Saturday.
- Dalton Pompey, wrist soreness, day-to-day.
- Carlos Ramirez, shoulder, should be back soon.
- Josh Donaldson had a cramp in his calf, should be back this weekend.
- Steve Pearce played yesterday.