Red Sox and Yankees brawl and David Price has tingling fingers

New, comments
New York Yankees v Boston Red Sox
Such love.
Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees played one very exciting game last night — at least from the perspective of a Toronto Blue Jay fan. With two benches-clearing incidents (only one of which was actually somewhat serious), multiple suspensions are likely to be handed down today.

It started with a “dirty slide” (in quotations because, you know, it could be considered legal or without malicious intent): Tyler Austin slide into second base, spiking Brock Holt. The benches cleared, but neither side seemed too passionate about the encounter (save for Austin and Holt). Most players seemed like they felt they had to pour out onto the field.

Then, later in the game, tensions heated up. Joe Kelly hit Austin with a fastball in the back, and Austin proceeded to slam his bat down. He charged the mound and — actually, just look at some videos.

And that was that from a fight standpoint. The Yankees won 10-7, ending a nine game Boston winning streak.

Not only is it fun to watch (although it shouldn’t be, and fights are really stupid), it’ll likely lead to a few suspensions on both the Yankees and Red Sox — something I probably shouldn’t celebrate, but I will.

David Price started the game for the Red Sox, leaving after only one inning. He gave up four runs, and later, the Boston media was told that Price couldn’t feel his fingers . . . which is problematic if you’re a pitcher.

“In my whole hand, didn’t have any feeling in my fingertips,” Price said, per NESN. “That’s something I’ve felt before but it didn’t go away (this time). I had no pain, even when I came in and did all the stuff with doctors, I still had no pain . . . Arm felt fine, arm felt really good. Just had no clue what was going on. It’s alright, I’ll play catch tomorrow and get ready for my next start.”

“We don’t know if it was the cold weather, if there was an issue there, but he couldn’t grip the ball,” manager Alex Cora said. “He felt it early in the inning or halfway through the inning, you saw the fastball command, we’ve been praising him about hitting his spots and he didn’t (tonight). You could see him walking around the mound and trying to get a grip and feel the ball and it wasn’t there.”

Heading into the game, Price had pitched 14 innings this season without allowing a run, and dating back to 2017, he had a streak of 22 consecutive scoreless innings. It was the shortest start of his career.

You can read more coverage of the game from both sides of the aisle at Pinstripe Alley and Over the Monster.