Should the Blue Jays Have a Dog in the Ballpark Promotion?

New, 45 comments

The annual event vanished almost a decade ago. Is it time to bring it back?

Arizona Diamondbacks  v Los Angeles Dodgers Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images

I spent Saturday night at Dodger Stadium watching the boys in blue get pulverized by the Diamondbacks. Despite the lopsided loss, our experience was still relatively enjoyable mainly because the stadium was full of very good dogs. My colleague and I weren’t aware of the promotion when we purchased the tickets, but were happy to have been there for it.

I ended up running into friends who participated in the event, and they shared the following details:

  • The Dodgers charged $40 per ticket for your dog, and they sold out of dog tickets in the designated section (right field pavilion) before they sold out of human tickets
  • There were over 600 dogs in attendance, which amounts to around $25k in pure doggy ticket sales revenue
  • They had an entire designated area on the grounds behind the batter’s eye with vendor booths, kiddie pools, and other dog friendly attractions
  • Participants had to sign a waiver prior to entering releasing the Dodgers organization from any harm to your furry friend

They also mentioned that in addition to their own Dog Day promotion, Petco Park has taken one step further by engineering something called The Barkyard, which are boxes in the outfield specifically designed for people with dogs. Each box costs $104 per game, and you can fit four humans and two dogs inside. There is also easy access to a doggy relief area.

A quick Google search says the Blue Jays began allowing dogs to the park for one game per year in 2003, but the promotion quietly disappeared in 2010. In a manner similar to the event on Saturday Night, owners could parade their dogs around the field alongside the players and their dogs.

The Dodgers donated a portion of the proceeds from the tickets sold to Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. Similarly, the Blue Jays donated the funds received from their dog day promotions to the Ontario SPCA.

Time for a poll:

Poll

Should the Blue Jays bring back their dogs in the park promotion?

This poll is closed

  • 71%
    Yes
    (311 votes)
  • 28%
    No
    (126 votes)
437 votes total Vote Now

Poll

Would you be likely to attend a dogs in the park promo game?

This poll is closed

  • 43%
    Yes, and I have a dog
    (174 votes)