Just random thoughts from yesterday’s games:
- Justin Smoak has been in a slump. He hasn’t hit a home run since his game winning grand slam against the Yankees. He’s hitting .178/.321/.222 since. About the only saving grace is the 9 walks. Yesterday he was 1 for 8 with 1 walk. It is only 12 games, and we are 9-3 since then, but I’ve been worried that last year was some fluke. The sooner he gets hitting again, the better I’ll all feel.
- We had almost the exact same start out of our two starters. Jaime Garcia went 5 innings , allowed 9 hits and a walk, but allowed just 3 runs. He was in trouble just about every inning and yet kept it close enough for us to stay in the game. Joe Biagini went 5.2, allowed 6 hits and 3 walks, but just 3 runs (if Gibby had taken him out after 5 innings it would have just 2 runs), and did his best work with runners on base. He loaded the bases (with the help of Steve Pearce), with no outs in the first inning, and got out of it with just 1 run against. His second inning was his only clean inning. As much as I understand that last year starts like that would guarantee a loss, I’m happy with it, considering they are our 5th and 6th starters.
- The bullpen was terrific, 8.1 inning, just 1 earned (7 hits, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts). We used 7 relievers, everyone except for Tim Mayza. I am starting to wonder what would have to happen to get him into a game.
- Steve Pearce leadoff hitter is something I didn’t think I’d hear. He’s now hit leadoff 19 times in his career. He had 5 hits, so maybe we should leave him there.
- Devon Travis went 3 for 5 and got his average over .100 (.140).
Today’s lineup. Devon gets a day off:
Slow jams on the clubhouse speakers as the #BlueJays look for the sweep over KC today. I dig it. pic.twitter.com/6tVKpBH8pM— Ben Wagner (@benwag247) April 18, 2018