There are some Blue Jays injury notes.
- Aledmys Diaz is doing base-running drills, getting ABs in extended spring, likely to begin rehab assignment next week. Diaz will likely resume the starting role at shortstop. While Diaz is only hitting .210/.269/.430 with 6 home runs on the year, in his last seven games before being injured, he was heating up with a line of .350/.435/ .750.
- Randal Grichuk - will resume rehab games in OF tonight, may send him to AA to avoid bad weather in Dunedin. Grichuk, while showing some improvement discipline-wise at the plate before his injury, is still mired in a deep slump, hitting just .106/.208/.227.
- Steve Pearce - doing long-toss, running drills. Hitting progression to begin next week.
- Marcus Stroman - off today after four days of throwing. Long toss tomorrow and will probably throw a side next week.
- Troy Tulowitzki - cleared to begin running on ground and will progress from the anti-gravity machine. Progression to game activities as he is ready
Gibbons answered questions from the media before the game, including questions on:
- The team’s current losing streak
Gibby: (Are things snowballing?) I’ve learned over the years to cut things loose. When the game’s over, you move on. What it all comes down to is that we haven’t played good enough baseball. #Bluejays— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) May 25, 2018
- Osuna’s continued absence
Gibby: Just keep moving on, knowing Osuna’s not here and act accordingly. Like anybody who’s not here, just go on. Can’t expect him back. #Bluejays— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) May 25, 2018
- Biagini’s return to the bullpen
Gibby: Never know what happens in the next couple days, don’t know how Garcia will respond, so it’s hard to say (whether Biagini is back in the bullpen for good). #Bluejays— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) May 25, 2018
- Closing options for tonight (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Gibby, when asked if there was a plan in a save situation tonight: "Don't worry about it. Whoever we bring in, you'll figure that that was the plan." #Bluejays— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) May 25, 2018
Solarte is starting for Travis at second tonight. Biagini has been moved to the bullpen, presumably to provide long relief in case of continued short outings by the starting rotation.