FanPost

Game 4 - 1993 World Series

In my opinion, any other game is wrong.

The wildest game I can imagine, and it was Game 4 of the World Series, in front of all the lights and cameras.

The Blue Jays jumped out to a quick lead, scoring 3 in the top of the 1st. RBI singles by Paul Molitor & Tony Fernandez. Todd Stottlemyre told Phillies starter Tommy Greene to hold his beer and gave up a run on his 4th walk of the first inning and then a bases clearing triple by Milt Thompson put Philly on top.

The second inning the Jays go quietly, but Stottlemyre gives up a line drive single to the opposing pitcher and then a 2-run HR to Lenny Dykstra and it's 6-4 Philly.

Top of the 3rd and the Jays show some life. Fernandez & Pat Borders each drive in one with singles to tie the game and drive Tommy Greene out. Devon White then singles in 2 more and the Jays are up 7-6. Stottlemyre actually recorded one less out than Greene, but gave way to Al Leiter who got 3 quick outs. The Jays went quietly in the top of 4 before Leiter gave up a 2-out double to Lenny Dykstra who then came in on a Mariano Duncan single. Tie game.

Bottom of 5 and here comes Philly again. A Dave Hollins lead off double is followed by a Darren Daulton 2-run HR. 9-7 Philly. Jim Eisenreich singled and then scored on a Milt Thompson double. At this point, Thompson is 2-3 with 4 RBI's and is a single & a HR away from the cycle. 2 batters later and Lenny Dykstra hits another 2-run HR and it's 12-7 Philly through 5.

I'm 11 years old, listening to the game on the radio because it's past my bed time already. The Jays were in the middle of getting beaten up pretty badly in the 5th and I can't force myself to stay awake any longer and I fell asleep figuring oh well, Game 5 is coming up. Little did I know.

Toronto got 2 back in the top of 6 as Robbie Alomar singled in Devon White who had doubled, and then Tony Fernandez drove in Alomar on a ground out. 12-9 Philly. Tony Castillo is pitching now, and he gives up an RBI single to Milt Thompson who is now a HR away from the cycle and has drove in 5. 13-9 Philly after 6. Tony Castillo is still dealing (and I use that word loosely) in the 7th and walks the bases on a single and two walks. Castillo then hit Darren Daulton to score a run and it's 14-9

Top of the 8th and Alomar leads off and makes out #1. He's followed by a Joe Carter single, a John Olerud walk and then a Paul Molitor double scores Carter. 14-10. Mitch Williams comes in to close it down (imagine that, a manager using his best reliever before the 9th inning to try and get out of a jam!?!?! Of course his best reliever was Mitch Williams, who also should be most Jays fans favourite reliever).

It's right about this time that something wakes me out of my slumber. Perhaps it's Tom & Jerry going nuts because the Jays had life, perhaps it was fate, perhaps I just had some gas. Either way, I wake up and listen some more.

Tony Fernandez has a ground ball single that scores Olerud. Borders walks and Ed Sprague strikes out, pinch hitting for Tony Castillo, who can only be described as the guy who was told to go out and save the bullpen. With two out, Rickey Henderson hits a bases loaded single to score 2. 14-13 Philly. Devon White digs in and hits a 1-2 triple into the right-centre gap and 2 more runs score. Jays are up 15-14. I'm going nuts. Of course Robbie Alomar makes out #3 with his second 5-3 ground out of the inning, but the Jays are ahead.

Mike Timlin comes in and strikes out the first 2 batters on 1-2 pitches, and for that effort, he is promptly replaced by Duane Ward. Ward comes on to face Lenny Dykstra and he makes the third 1-2 strike out of the bottom of the 8th and we are heading to 9 up a run.

Joe Carter leads off the 9th with a double, and everyone is thinking an insurance run would be nice, there's only been 29 scored already, what's one more? Bobby Thigpen then gets 3 straight ground balls and Carter is stranded at 3rd. But we have the lead and our closer is coming back out looking for the 4-out save. Mariano Duncan hits what is described as a pop fly to deep short, and there is one out. John Kruk is up looking to hammer one out with his beard and gets to a full count. On the 8th pitch of the at-bat Ward catches Kruk looking and there are 2 down. The Phillies final hope is Dave Hollins. On the first pitch he ambushes a ball and hits it deep into the right-centre gap, but Devon White deftly glides into the gap and catches the ball and secure the Jays victory.

Instead of being tied at 2 games, the Jays find the comeback magic and take a 3-1 series lead, winning the first 2 on the road. A game 5 loss set the stage for Mitch Williams throwing a slider down and in that Joe Carter turned in to the best play-by-play call I have been alive for. Williams began receiving death threats before game 4 was even over.

Just an unbelievable game. Set World Series records for longest game ever (4:14 - still a lot shorter than last night, or most Yankees games), Most Runs scored in a game and highest score for a losing team. Plus another record that blows me away that you can read about here

Milt Thompson, Lenny Dykstra & Darren Daulton had big games for Philly. Tony Fernandez & Devon White had the big knocks for the Jays who made a winner of Tony Castillo.

Check out the box score and play-by-play here

Side note, Erik last weeks Fan Post Friday was worst trade. The week before was how you become a Blue Jays fan