Injuries, double headers, bullpen management, a new born baby: All this and more have thrown the Jays roster for a loop the few days. Here’s a quick recap in case you’ve missed anything.
Thursday, May 3:
The Jays play a double header in Cleveland with an overworked bullpen, Steve Pearce was injured, and Justin Smoak’s baby girl is born. So the following players came off the roster ...
- Justin Smoak was placed on paternity leave.
- Gift Ngoepe (who was called up when Randal Grichuk was placed on the DL) was Designated For Assignment.
- Steve Pearce was put on the 10-day DL with an oblique strain.
- Danny Barnes was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo after pitching in the first game of the double header.
Meanwhile, the following players were added to the roster (there’s an extra player in this group because MLB allowed a 26th man for the second game of the double header) ...
- Josh Donaldson was deemed healthy enough to return to action and was reinstated from the the 10-day DL.
- Luis Santos was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to shore up the bullpen.
- Tim Mayza was also was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to shore up the bullpen.
- Dwight Smith Jr. was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to add outfield depth.
- Joe Biagini was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to make the start in Game 2 of the double header.
Friday, May 4:
- As the road trip continued in Tampa, more moves were needed, and the following players came off the roster ...
- Luis Santos was Designated For Assignment.
- Dwight Smith Jr. was optioned back to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Joe Biagini was optioned back to Triple-A Buffalo as there was no longer a need for a sixth man in the rotation.
- Carlos Ramirez was also optioned back to Triple-A Buffalo.
Meanwhile, these players were added to the roster (and in reverse of Thursday, there’s now one less player in this group as the Jays had to get the roster back down to 25 men) ...
- Jake Petricka was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to shore up the bullpen after the Jays played 20 innings on Thursday and allowed 24 runs.
- Dalton Pompey was called up from Triple-A Buffalo essentially replacing Dwight Smith Jr.
- Richard Urena was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to shore up the infield.
Saturday, May 5:
Yet another move came today ....
- After getting four outs in relief last night and giving much off the rest of the bullpen the night off, Jake Petricka was optioned back to Triple-A Buffalo as the Jays went back to a seven man pen (for now).
- Anthony Alford was called up to give the team an extra outfielder, which could be a troubling sign since Curtis Granderson left last night’s game with a tight hamstring.
Sunday, May 6:
There’s at least one more roster move coming tomorrow too with Justin Smoak due to return from paternity leave; and who knows if Granderson will avoid the DL as of now, so keep your notebook handy.