Gibby: “Not sure I want to go through a total rebuild”

New, comments
New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

John Gibbons was on SiriusXM MLB radio this morning and talked about the rumors that he will soon be gone from the Blue Jays manager post.

Gibby, in his usual way, seemed to enjoy the conversation (he’s become really good at being interviewed). He said despite how young he looks, he’s not a young man anymore, and, even though he has a lot of patience, he might not have enough patience to deal with a total rebuild. I’m not sure I have the patience to deal with a total rebuild too, but I guess I don’t get a choice.

I’m of two minds. I think Gibby can be great with young players. He has an ability to be laidback and not cause players to stress over mistakes. A young team will be making mistakes. It doesn’t feel like his ego is dependent on the team’s won-loss record.

On the other hand, maybe a younger manager would be better for a rebuild. Someone who could learn on the job, while the players learn on the job. Yeah, speaking Spanish would be helpful.

If you want to listen to it: