Last week may have been the final episode of Around The Nest, the Blue Jays minor league podcast, but we can’t really just pack up our bags and go off into the sunset without acknowledging that the Blue Jays’ double-A affiliate, the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, steamrolled through the Eastern League playoffs and were crowned as their champions.
Here we present a special epilogue for the 2018 podcast season, featuring host Jesse Goldberg-Strassler’s conversation with Fisher Cats broadcaster Tyler Murray.
- Championship ring fitting
- The stability of the Fisher Cats’ roster from opening day to the playoffs
- Postseason allowed players to show that they can deliver in the clutch
- John Schneider was able to manage a major-league-like deep bullpen: Dusty Isaacs could be brought in to face a righty, Kirby Snead for a few lefties, Jackson McClelland to light up the radar, etc. Travis Bergen developed into a reliable closer.
- Harold Ramirez and Max Pentecost turning their careers around and contributing big to the team.
- The huge re-acquisition of Jon Berti.
- When Tyler Murray knew the Fisher Cats were going to win it all.
- John Schneider works hard on analyzing matchups, and on the batting practice playlist.
- The mandatory “How good is Bo Bichette” segment.
- Reviewing the new comers Forrest Wall and Santiago Espinal.
- On the starters: T.J. Zeuch carries himself as a big leaguer and his sinker is big league. Pitching coach Vince Horsman has helped Jordan Romano and Jon Harris to improve so much this year, adding a key changeup for Romano.
- Tyler believes that Cavan Biggio can make another big improvement in 2019
Thanks again for being loyal listeners! And for the rest of the major league season, enjoy the baseball!