Thursday Bantering: Jaime García retires and early ZiPS projections

New, comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images

Before Christmas, I poked fun at the Blue Jays 2019 calendar that had Jaime García as the player for January. It seems even more ridiculous now that García has officially retired at the age of 32 after a decade in the major leagues:

If you want to watch his half hour press conference in Spanish, you can find it here.

I will leave you with a little Jaime throwback picture in honor of his retirement:

Best of luck, Jaime! You will always have a special place in my heart have a special place on the wall of my cubicle for the next 21 days.

Turning to the future, a teaser of the Blue Jays 2019 ZiPS projections was shared yesterday. Behold:

Which players would you take the over on? Which evaluations look spot on?

Free agent Yasmani Grandal signed a one year, $18.25M deal pending a physical with the Brewers late last night, which is $350K over the $17.9M qualifying offer he rejected from the Dodgers. This is a pretty big blow to Grandal who allegedly turned down a four year, $60M offer from the Mets earlier in the off-season. Russell Martin was used as a point of comparison in many evaluations, as he was a similarly valued player (and two years older) who received a 5 year deal worth $82.5M four years ago.

Grandal’s deal is just one more case of a player who will not be receiving a paycheck close to what was predicted for him. This points to a much larger disconnect between MLB team owners and the players’ representatives, which will surely come to a head during the next CBA negotiation prior to the 2022 season.

In AL East news, it has been reported that the New York Yankees are out on Manny Machado since apparently they are now strapped for cash, or something. If you can count the number of teams trying to land a young superstar like Manny Machado on one hand, something has gone very wrong. (Of course, we would not be too sad about Manny Machado finding a home outside of our division),

Happy Thursday!