Wednesday Bantering: Jays top prospects go curling

New, comments

Plus Atkins on Harper, Stroman’s new ink and Pompey’s fresh perspective

Toronto Blue Jays v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images

Players have started to trickle into town for this weekend’s second annual Winter Fest at the Rogers Center, and they are already embracing all the wonderful things this country has to offer:

With their (likely) first curling game out of the way, a group consisting of Julian Merryweather, Zach Jackson, TJ Zeuch, Cavan Biggio, Forrest Wall, Kevin Smith, Vladimir Guerrero Jr, Trent Thornton, Yennsy Diaz, Nate Pearson, Andrew Sopko, Patrick Murphy and Jacob Waguespack have completed the first stage of their initiation, and are now that much closer to be coming honorary Canadians (save for Vlad, who is of course already Canadian).

If you were in charge of planning this week’s activities for the players, where would you take them? Up the CN tower? To the Raptors game on Thursday?

If you happen to miss seeing the players above at Winter Fest this weekend, you can likely catch most of them down in Buffalo playing for the Bisons. If that weren’t incentive enough, the recently released 2019 Bisons’ promotional schedule offers many more compelling reasons to visit past any mid-April call ups:

Among the highlights are Star Wars Night, both a Superhero Night and Princess Day as well as the new Game of Thrones Night and Baseball Movie Tribute Night. Of course, there is also a Vladimir Guerrero Jr bobblehead giveaway.

Ross Atkins recently called into TSN and was asked about Bryce Harper’s potential fit on the Toronto Blue Jays. Atkins admitted that Harper “would fit well in between Bichette and Vladdy at some point” before adding, “it’s something that we’ve contemplated, and will continue to.” While there is still a very, very slim chance that Bryce Harper would sign the Blue Jays, it’s certainly a slight deviation from the hard no Mark Shapiro gave back in September.

Marcus Stroman often states how much he loves the city of Toronto, and this past week he put some ink to his words. Stroman flew in Abbortsford British Columbia based tattoo artist Levi Reimer to add a little 6ix tribute to his already heavily tattooed torso. Behold:

Lastly, Ben Nicholson-Smith spoke with Dalton Pompey, an oft forgotten player on the 40 man roster, and reported on his time spent with a life coach this off-season. On his bi-weekly chats, Pompey said, “She really helps me...I feel like I’m in a better frame of mind–the best frame of mind I’ve been in since I can remember.”

Hopefully Pompey’s 2019 season will be his best yet, regardless of which team he is playing for.

Happy Wednesday!