Thursday Bantering: Ricky Romero announces his retirement

New, comments

It’s been a long time coming.

Toronto Blue Jays v Detroit Tigers Photo by Mark Cunningham/MLB Photos via Getty Images

After last playing in the major leagues in 2013 at age 28, former Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Ricky Romero announced his retirement Monday on Instagram, closing the door on a tumultuous and unpredictable 13-year career in professional baseball.

“It’s time to officially announce that I’M DONE,” Romero wrote on Instagram in a post first noticed by Ian Hunter. “I tip my hat to the fans and to this beautiful game I was blessed to play.”

After an All-Star season in 2011 with the Blue Jays, when Romero pitched 225 innings and posted a 2.92 ERA, he suffered horribly from injuries in 2012, not missing a start but tearing muscles in both legs. The effects were clear in 2013: a season spent in high-A and triple-A, with a 5.52 ERA and 1.699 WHIP.

He made his final major league appearance against the Baltimore Orioles on September 25, 2013.

For Romero, though, that wasn’t the end. He crawled through the minors with the San Francisco Giants, making 10 appearances over three seasons, but continued fighting against injuries and was eventually released by the Giants in 2017. He did spend some time in the Mexican League, and didn’t totally rule out a return in 2018.

In case you missed the post by Minor Leaguer, the New York Yankees have allegedly agreed to a major league deal with Troy Tulowitzki pending a physical, three weeks after the Blue Jays released the shortstop and committed to eating the remaining $38 million on his contract.

The Yankees hope that Tulowitzki, despite injuries and not playing at all in 2018, can fill the void left by Didi Gregorius’ Tommy John surgery. Jeff Passan (now of ESPN) reports that despite the addition, the Yankees are still very much involved in Manny Machado sweepstakes; this deal was just too good to pass up.

Getting off of the turf — for the most part, at least — may help Tulowitzki. Still, with his history of injuries even with the Colorado Rockies, I wouldn’t expect him to be a shining beacon of health in New York. That’s not to say it’s a bad idea for the Yankees to sign Tulowitzki, given that there’s essentially no way it can go south.

We’ve talked before about our New Year’s resolutions here, but I haven’t had the chance to share mine. Last year, I set the goal of reading 25 books, and I ended up reading 28. It ended up being the only resolution I actually kept. This year, I’ve got two relevant resolutions set: read 35 books (about one every 10 days) and write twice a week.

We’ll see if I keep them. Feel free to share your resolutions below, and resolutions from last year that you kept (or failed to keep).