Better know your Blue Jays 40-man: Ryan Borucki

New, comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Julio Aguilar/Getty Images

Ryan Borucki was our 15th round pick in the 2012 draft.

He’s done pretty well for a 15th round pick. Only 3 others from that year’s 15th round have made it to the majors to this point:

  • Buck Farmer has pitched in 109 MLB games. Last year he came out of the Tigers bullpen 66 times, and had a 4.15 ERA. He was picked in the 15th round in 2012 but he didn’t sign, preferring to try his luck again the next year, when he was picked in the 5th round.
  • Carson Fulmer also didn’t sign that year, and he was drafted in the first round of the 2015 draft. He pitched in 9 games for the White Sox last season, 8 starts and had a 8.07.
  • Scott Oberg has been in the Rockies pen for 4 seasons, has pitched in 219 games and has a 4.29 ERA.

Borucki was 6th on our top 40 prospect list last year. He started last season in Buffalo, made 13 starts, had a 3.27 ERA and earned a promotion to the majors.

His first start was against the Astros, he went 6 innings, allowed just 2 runs and he stayed in the majors the rest of the year. after the Happ trade, he was our best starting pitcher the rest of the way. He’d make 17 starts, had a 3.87 ERA. In 97.2 innings he allowed 33 walks and had 67 strikeouts. Baseball Reference and FanGraphs agreed on a 1.7 WAR. A pretty good rookie season.

The question is will he be as good again this year?

Steamer doesn’t think so, they have him putting up a 4.88 ERA in 19 starts this year, just 111 innings. I can understand it, Ryan didn’t get the strikeout numbers that make you think he’s going to be successful and walked a few more than you would like. It is tough to bet on a guy with an averagish fastball. 000000000000000

It seems like the changeup was the pitch that made him successful, getting weak opposite fly outs with it (stolen from FanGraphs Ryan Borucki and Baseball’s Newest Plus Pitch):

I’m taking the over on innings. I think he’s in the rotation for the season, barring injury. And I think he’s going to be better than Steamer thinks.

We do have a few possibilities for the rotation. Stroman is pretty much a sure thing. Sanchez too if healthy. And Shoemaker if healthy.

After that it is Borucki, Reid-Foley, Pannone, Thornton and Richard fighting for the last two spots.

Poll

If the over/under on Borucki’s innings pitched is 140 I’d take the

This poll is closed

  • 76%
    Over
    (397 votes)
  • 23%
    Under
    (122 votes)
519 votes total Vote Now

Poll

If the over/under on Borucki’s MLB ERA is 4.50 I’d take the

This poll is closed

  • 23%
    Over
    (116 votes)