Remembrance Day

New, comments

I can’t imagine fighting in a war.

I had an uncle who fought in the Second World War. I didn’t know I had uncles or an aunt until I was in my 20s. My parents moved from England to Canada and they didn’t talk about family or their life growing up. I didn’t know about this uncle until he visited us one summer.

I didn’t get to talk to him enough. He talked a bit about the war but I wish I could have learned more. He had scars from the war. I don’t know how you go from what he went through to having a normal life.

I’m blessed. No one has ever shot at me. I’ve never had things blowing up around me. I truly can’t imagine it. Maybe I’m too soft.

I’m lucky there were better people around when we needed them.

A few years ago, my son’s class had a field trip to the air museum here and our group’s guide, told us his war story. He flew a Lancaster Bomber and was shot down over Belgium. They parachuted down, and managed to evade the Germans, until they were captured in France. He ended up at Stalag Luft III, where the Great Escape happened. If you haven’t seen the movie, you should. He wasn’t one of the ones that escaped but he helped dig tunnels that 50 men escaped through. All but 3 were recaptured or killed, but it helped the war effort, the Germans took solders off the front lines to search for the escapees.

He told us how he was moved from prison camp to prison camp, moving towards Berlin as Germany was being overrun from both sides. Finally, with the Russians coming closer, the prison guards released the prisoners, and then tried to surrender to them, not wanting to end up in Russian prison camps. I’m lucky to have heard the story from him.

We own an immeasurable debt to so many who gave up so much for us. Be sure to take a few minutes out of you day to remember those that did so much for us.