Today in Blue Jays History: Travis/Gose Trade, Edwin claimed by Oakland

New, comments
Atlanta Braves v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

Today in Blue Jays history:

Two Year Ago:

Former Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos was hired for the GM job of the Braves. I said at the time that I might have a new favorite NL team but I also said:

Congratulation Alex. I wish you the best of luck, except when you are playing the Jays. Perhaps your first move could be banning the ‘tomahawk chop’?

He still hasn’t banned the chop.

Five years ago:

The Jays traded Anthony Gose to the Tigers for Devon Travis. It was a trade I didn’t see coming, and it seemed pretty amazing that we could get Travis for Gose. Gose was a player with all the talent in the world, who couldn’t seem to turn that talent into production.

We had a couple of posts on the trade:

In parts of 3 seasons, Gose had hit .234/.301/.332 with 34 steals. Travis was blocked from the majors by Ian Kinsler, so the Tigers really didn’t have a place for him.

In his time as a Blue Jay Travis hit .274/.314/.437 with 35 homers in 316 games. Who knows what might have been without the injuries.

2018 was his first, at least relatively, injury free season. It didn’t go great. He hit .232/.272/.381 in, a career high, 103 games. It has us questioning his future with the team, considering we seem to be loaded with infield prospects.

Gose? Well, he played parts of two seasons with the Tigers, hitting .247/.315/.363, with 23 steals (caught 12 times). Over the past couple of seasons Gose has been trying his luck as a pitcher, it hasn’t gone well.

At the time we liked the trade:

It has turned out to be a good trade, but it would be so much better if Travis could have stayed healthy.

Nine Years Ago:

Man, time flies.

The Oakland A’s claimed Edwin Encarnacion off waivers from us. Looking back, this could have been the worst moment in Jays history. Edwin put on waivers (along with Brian Tallet and DeWayne Wise) to make room, on the 40-man, for Rommie Lewis Jesse Litsch and Dustin McGowan.

Fortunately, the A’s let Edwin become a free agent and we signed him again. It’s tough to imagine us making the playoffs in 2015 and 2016 without Edwin

The comment thread of our post on the subject is pretty interesting. Reading it is great fun in knowing what we know now. Some were thrilled Edwin was gone (many were more thrilled Tallet was gone). Some thought we were calling Alex Anthopoulos an idiot because we disagreed with the move.

In the end it turned out Billy Beane was the idiot. We were very very lucky we got him back.

Ten Years Ago:

Jon Heyman told us that the Yankees were interested in trading for Roy Halladay. I was suicidal.